Help finding an acrylic blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Guys, I need a hand here. I need an acrylic black & white pen blank something like a "cow" swirl look. I need to make a "thank you" gift for someone and this is her favorite colors. (This is for the person who owns the large sandblast cabinet I am getting for free) I would like something mostly white with black blotches I think. Something that would look good on a nicer pen kit. So, if you have one or can point me in a direction, I am not finding what I want.

~Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grizzlyss

I looked in both the Hut and Lee Valley Tool catalogs and they don't have anything matching that. Maybe one of the guys or gals who do their own blanks have something that might work, or can make one up for you. You could try looking or asking there too.

Sheldon

its_virgil

Will this work? It is dalmation decora...no longer available. I can part with one if it will work for you. The rod is round, .667" in diameter and 12 inches in length.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

2007315235_dalmation%20decora.jpg

Tea Clipper

Here's CSUSA's Jersey blank. I think this is what you are asking for.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-0163

Firefyter-emt

Joe, that is exactly what I said when I clicked on the link! Don't look tan to me! [:D]

That one might work, but I kind of like the one Don has. Let me check the sizes of the kit and see how much room I have first. Wanna send me a PM for how much you are looking for a blank?

jeffj13

L:ee,

Check out this post. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22191&SearchTerms=cow Is this what you are looking for?

I think Chris made this blank, so you might want to give him a shout.

jeff

jthompson1995

If you go with the decora, be aware tht it turns differently than acrylics. It seems a lot softer, like a hard rubber to turn (smells like it, too). I've found it to fairly difficult to get tool and sanding marks out of it as well. I have the best luck with making sure to use a sharp skew to get a really good smooth finish, then go straight to the micromesh. I also think it does not get as high a gloss as the acrylics. Just my $0.02, not trying to discourage, just inform.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you like Don's, I also have some sticks that are very similar in celluloid. I believe they were only 5/8" though.

PM if interested.

Firefyter-emt

Ed, I sent you a PM... At this point I am using the blank Don posted up, but more blank options is always good! I was seriously looking at your cataloge and that zebra blank, but it was hard to pull the trigger on the $15.00 blank (even with the extra) for a free "thank you" pen!

Firefyter-emt

Bump to just give Don (it's_virgil) a kudos and thanks for setting me up with this one!

I got the blank in the other day and finished off the kit today. Just an Americana (CSUSA kit) for a thank you gift. I am glad the blanks were extra long and not "grain specific" because the first blank blew up while drilling on the lathe! Had to keep it very wet and slow drilling was the key. I kinda like the material in an odd sort of way. [:D]

Here is a quick photo. All the black on this kit really fits well.
0313071.jpg

Scott

Lee! Nice pen! So, was that Decora? It is a bit different to work - feels a lot like the consistency of Corian, maybe even softer, as far as working qualities, but it's not so soft as to scratch up easily after you're done finishing it! Nice!

Scott.

Firefyter-emt

Yes it was the Decora. It worked pretty well, kinda "grabby" on the skew and it gave off thin slivers for shavings You had to kind of "catch a groove" and ride it with the skew or you would loose your cut. You can notice the softer material as it was very hard to get out every scratch and I had a very light round over on the center band edge. I could tell, but no one else would ever notice it.

The real challange was the drilling. I held it in my pin jaws ont he lathe and without water I blew up one half, lucky for me, the left over piece was big enough to replace it. I had to drill about 1/8" at a time and wet the blank & bit. The bit would be hot enough by then to steam the water a hair. This was on my lowest setting (600 or 700)

Scott

Hi Lee!

Yes, I remember Decora well! I remember using a lot of water when drilling it. And now that you mention it, I recall that "catching a groove and riding it"! Strangely enough, it makes me want to go dig out a piece and turn a pen from it! This black and white Decora makes wonderful looking pens, and when I would sell at a craft show it would get the most comments. But it just didn't sell well for me. Your pen sure looks like a winner!

Take care!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom