Help with Exec Pencil Assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WalkOn

Having trouble putting this pencil together. In particular, the wording in the instructions:

Pencil Assembly Instructions:

1. Line up finished parts according to diagram.
2. Insert centering plug, recessed end first into barrel. Push inside slightly below the surface.
3. Press clip/coupler assembly in front of the centering plug.
4. Press the tip holder into the other end of the barrel.
5. And so on.......

In the diagram it looks like the Clip/Coupler should go inside the Centering Plug, but since they both have the same outside diameter, that won't work. Also, if you put the Centering Plug into the barrel, how does the Clip/Coupler go in front of the plug.

http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKEXEC-PEN_ins.pdf

I'm sure there is a simple answer for this, and I'm just a little dim this morning. I searched the forums and learned these pencils have other issues, but nothing on finding the instructions confusing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

lwalper

I've never assembled one of these, but it appears that the centering plug goes in first with the clip/coupler assembly following behind. Depending on how you look at it (from the cap end of the pencil) that could be "in front of" the plug, since the plug has already been inserted and the coupler will now be in "front" of the plug. That's not how I would have described it, but I can see how it could be understood that way. From the appearance of the picture the pen does not need the centering plug since it has a longer, tapered coupler assembly with the same function -- and from the "cap" perspective the taper is "behind" the coupler.

WalkOn

Thanks and yes, I don't see how the centering plug is helping much.

The only way I can see the plug and clip/coupler fitting together is to place the plug inside the top of the clip/coupler and then press them both into the barrel. The plug does fit well into the top of clip/coupler, but not sure it will press fit into the clip this way. But, that goes against the instructions.

This thing is giving me a headache. :bulgy-eyes:

Thinking I may try calling PSI and see if they can explain.

Top Bottom