HELP!!! Did I make an expensive mistake?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

killer-beez

I feel so dumb it’s embarrassing to even write this post. I have made lots of pens and I certainly know better…I made a Beautiful Gentleman/Statesman Ballpoint last night. Since I have never made one before I read, or thought I read, all the instructions. Step one “Read all instructions before assemblyâ€. In a nutshell during assembly I forgot to install the pen clip when I pressed the pen cap. :(:(:( Is there any way to remove the top cap and reinstall it with the clip? [?][?][?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

simply use a punch (largest that will fit through the threads) to tap the pen cap out from the inside. a couple of taps with a hammer should do the trick. you may need to use a drop of CA on the cap when you re-assemble as the tubes may be a tad stretched from the 1st installation.

randyrls

Originally posted by killer-beez

I feel so dumb it’s embarrassing to even write this post. I have made lots of pens and I certainly know better…I made a Beautiful Gentleman/Statesman Ballpoint last night. Since I have never made one before I read, or thought I read, all the instructions.
[?][?][?]

Yep; had to disassemble a pen many times. :( Sometimes more than once :( :( :( :(

I have a JR Statesman in my build box right now. It has an insert in the finial, so be careful in smacking out the cap. Don't loosen the finial insert. If you want to be cautious, drill a 3/16" hole in the end of a bolt that will just fit thru the center band.

Grip the cap in your hand, don't clamp it in anything. Now whack the bolt repeatedly with a hammer. The idea here is to use many gentle blows rather than one massive hit! Do this over something soft so when the cap comes loose it will not be scratched or lost. Don't ask!

Go out to Harborfreight and look for a pin punch set. You want the longer ones. Cost is less than $15.00

Disassembly kits are available for many of the popular kits and work well, but are a bit on the expensive side.

1JaredSchmidt

I had made a Jr.Statesman and I had put the cap/clip on the wrong end of the barrel. I just got out my 10mm pen disassembler and stuck the big rod down there and whacked it out.

thewishman

When I disassemble those kits and the cap insert comes out, I just press it in again before reassembly. Sometimes a drop of glue is prudent to ensure the insert is permanently attached.

Not an expensive mistake and one that is almost painless to fix.

Chris

M

monkeynutz

Dude, there's no reason to be embarrassed that you had to take a pen apart. Everyone here has had to do it (except for me, of course ;) ).

fernhills

Yep,It is just as much fun taking them apart and putting them back together again. :) Like stated above a Punch Set from HF is the ticket,then you won`t be afraid of nothing and you can even take apart earliar pens that you did where the wood doesn`t do the kit justice and replace with much nicer wood,i do it all the time. Carl

babyblues

Originally posted by killer-beez

I feel so dumb it’s embarrassing to even write this post. I have made lots of pens and I certainly know better…I made a Beautiful Gentleman/Statesman Ballpoint last night. Since I have never made one before I read, or thought I read, all the instructions. Step one “Read all instructions before assemblyâ€. In a nutshell during assembly I forgot to install the pen clip when I pressed the pen cap. :(:(:( Is there any way to remove the top cap and reinstall it with the clip? [?][?][?]
I've had to disassembled a...uh...few pens. :D I bought a Baron disassembly kit from ArizonaSilhouette. No different than a transfer punch really, but it does have an indentation on one end of the cap rod that allows you to knock out the finial without also knocking out the finial insert. The tenon on the insert extends just far enough down into the finial that if you hit it with the flat end of the rod, you'll pop it out. Funny, I didn't figure that out until I heard the insert bounch off my bench and the finial was still in the cap. [V] I haven't regretted getting it since.

sparhawk

I actually have a Baron and a Round top european that i occasionally take apart and make new skins for. They are fountain pens and sometimes i just want to make them different without having a dozen of the same kit lying around. Pencycling i Guess.[}:)]

redfishsc

Be careful to use the LARGEST transfer punch you have that will fit. If you use a small one, you run the risk of punching out the stud that holds the cap finial in place--- in many of these pens the cap finial is just a press-fit kinda like a rivet.

I tried to disassemble an Emperor once and knocked the finial out[B)][:0], but thank goodness for epoxy[^].

fyrcaptn

I've never had to take a pen apart......
okay now that I look like an arse-
I have two I WANT to take apart and swap. I hate the thoughts of messing either up. So I just bought new and started all over sheesh You guys with all your experience and smarts make me appreciate this site SO MUCH!

nightowl

In my panicked experiences [:I] I have used an old drill bit. I use the solid end of it and then tap it with a hammer. I always us a bit as close to the size of the brass barrel as I can get. I am afraid any smaller may dent some of the caps. I just used one on an ultimate cigar in order to tap the finial our and use a different one. It works great.

Top Bottom