Help with Designer pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bitshird

I apparently need some direction on the sizing band for the Mont Blanc style pen,
I have the three bushing set, and the sizing sleeve, the inside bushing for the sleeve is .404 on the small end and about .419 on the larger end, the outer sleeve .520 on the smaller OD and .707 on the large part.
Since the ID is .420 and .405 I think I understand the way to fit the sleeve over the center bushing.
The centerband is what is giving me the problem, the instructions I have say cut the tennon 3/16 wide but the recessed portion of the band is only about .035 deep with the ID at that point being .414 at the square edge and the remainder being .4085,
How far back do I cut the tennon for the center band.I thought I had it last night, but ruined a real nice pice of Maca Wood, wasn't too thrilled about turning it off down to the top tube the stuff is HARD
Appreciate any and all help
Ken Ferrell

clewless

I make the tenon 3/16 wide so the lower part actually is a tiny bit under the upper part and the seam is hidden. If you're going to make any number of these spend the $3. and buy the pkbux bushing from Woodturningz. That makes it much easier.

Russianwolf

your measurements have me confused.

you have the three piece bushing set. So to use it you would would put a center band on the large portion of the center bushing and but that against the upper tube, the smaller end going against the lower tube.

You would use the centerband as the bushing to turn the upper. then back it off and cut the tennon about two widths of a parting tool down t the actual bushing.

To use the sizing sleeve, it should be set up just like the bushing/centerband combo above. The benefit is that you don't risk damaging the centerband as you turn the upper tube.

Hope I answered the question.

bitshird

Thanks floks, I bought the three piece set and the pkbus bushing which came with another center that the large sizing bushing slips over and tightens down on with a set screw,Now that Mike said something about using the center band as the guide,a lioghy just came on, By Jove, I think I've got it.[:I] it's hard being old and drain bamaged [;)]
Thanks for the help
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom