Help with custom parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdoerr

Hi,
This is my first post so what to say hi and thanks to all for all the info I have gained by reading all of the great post. I have been making pens (kits) for several years now and have a customer (my college fraternity) that wants me to make some pens as a fund raiser. We are looking at the Craft Supply Jr. Gentleman (gold titanium). They have asked me if there is any way that I can get a copy of the crest made and attach it to the clip. Here's where I need your help and assistance. Does anyone know of a vendor that can make a small metal crest that can be attached to the clip? And no, I do not want to order 5000 of them, at the most maybe 500. I also don't want something that is cheap and will not match the gold titanium. Also, what would be the best way to attach the crest to the clip--epoxy?
Thanks for your help.
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

There is a member here that makes custom parts from silver. His name is Mike Redburn (aka mredburn). I think I would start with him.

Ed McDonnell

Hi Steve - [Personal Opinion On] I think using epoxy to attach a crest to a Junior Gent II ("JGII") clip would look really cheap and cheesy. I also think it would not be sufficiently robust. [Personal Opinion Off]

The JGII clip has a small flat angled area at the top where something small could possibly be attached. But it would have to be small because of the angle. The rest of the clip is all curves and it would be tough to "seamlessly" attach something. Stripping off the clip plating, soldering the small crest to the flat and then replating the crested clip would give you the most durable clip and best plating match (perhaps this section should have been included in the opinionated block at the top :biggrin:).

While the results of attaching a crest to the JGII clip may end up looking cheap, it will be anything but. You would need a pretty good budget to get what you want.

Have you considered having the crest incorporated into the cap (or barrel) of the pen? You have a lot of options if you decide to go that route. Most of which would be significantly less costly and look considerably better (just another opinion, of course).

Ed

walshjp17

Affixing a decal of the fraternity crest might be an option. Put a couple of coats of CA on the pen, affix the decal (use clear decal paper) and then cover with another five to ten coats of CA.

sdoerr

Guys, thanks for your thoughts and replies. I'm also concerned about the look and quality of the finished product in trying to put a crest on the clip. I think I will look at some options concerning laser engraving. I know the detail will be something that I will have to work with on the engraving. But we will see where it goes from here.
Steve

Top Bottom