Help cleaning CA off of kit metal parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I don't usually use CA to assemble my pen kits but tonight I was putting together a kit and the nib section did not fit very tight in the end of the tube so I thought I would just add a couple "dots" of medium CA to the nib and press it into place. Well I did not notice right away that a little bit of the CA squeezed out and got on the outside surface of the nib. I found it when I touched it with my finger. Now I have dried CA on the nib. How can I clean that off without damaging the 24K gold finish on the nib?

edstreet

Acetone will remove it, it will also remove your CA finish.
A buffer will also remove it but a buffer can EASILY remove the plating on *some* of the kits and a buffer will remove the plating on all the kits if given enough compound and time.

plantman

:thunder: Go to your local hobby store and buy a bottle of debonder. Tape off your blank and hold parts so it runs off the end and not into the wood. By the way, this also works great for getting your fingers apart without loosing any skin. I keep a bottle within reach every time I do any glueing or finishing. Unlike Acetone it has no Vapors, fumes, or smell, and is not an explosive. If you do use Acetone, take it outside and do your cleaning there. Use gloves, as Acetone will take the oils out of your skin and turn them white. Read the caution lable on he can!!! Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom