Help with centerbands.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

My wife wants me to make several slimline pens out of some acrylic blanks she picked out but the slime line kits have small centerbands. How can I use/order/make a bigger centerband?? Im a little rusty at making pens, havent made a pen in about 10 months.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Do away with the cb entirely by making your lower blank 2 3/8" long and gluing the tube flush with the nib end. Trim the center with a barrel trimmer just enough to square the blank end. This now gives you the option of turning it thicker or even turning it like a Euro. Hope that explains it well enough. Lots of other oprions as well!
Good luck!

Lenny

You can also drill a 1/4" hole in some scrap pieces (probably easier to start with bigger pieces) and turn them for center bands.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My wife wants me to make several slimline pens out of some acrylic blanks she picked out but the slime line kits have small centerbands. How can I use/order/make a bigger centerband?? Im a little rusty at making pens, havent made a pen in about 10 months.
Hi Jack; This Father Sing pen from CS USA has a larger dia. centre band, and makes a real nice slim that has some bulk to it!

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...Kits___Father_Sing_Pen_Kit___father_sing?Args=

Mac

Use the comfort grip kits the center band is bigger and the nib and cap is the same as a slimeline. Just don't use the grip .We have a guy ,in our local club ,that does this all the time . You might want to buy the bushings for it also, unless you want to use calipers for the center part.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Comfort grip pens from PSI are exactly what you are looking for. They have a center band that has a bigger diameter than a slimline but is larger. Xiamen-Rizheng sells centerbands in a variety of finishes.

RAdams

Banned
I prefer to make my own.

Just drill the material out with 1/4 inch bit and mount on the mandrel. Turn it to the diameter you want, and match the pen tubes to it. Pretty simple really.

JakeAB

I also make my own center bands, but I've also made a number of Saturn pens from WoodTurningz. Take a look at http://www.woodturningz.com/Saturn_Pen_Kits.aspx. These kits are simply slimlines with a larger center band. I've gotten great results with them. There are a number of similar kits from other vendors as well, but the Saturn is the one I've had experience with.

KenV

Don't pass the opportunity to try the one piece slimline -- Don Ward has a paper on this at his site -- www.redriverpens.com The one piece is a great way to have a larger bodied pen and showcase a special piece of material.

Top Bottom