help with caligraphy pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck B

Question guy's I would love some advice from the experts here on making a calligraphy pen like the picture added. it's for a co-worker of my wife. I have no idea on even where to start. especially how to be able to remove the ink refill....Also does anyone know where I can get a very good set of Calligraphy nibs??

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

Chuck

Attachments

• caligraphy 1.jpg
    caligraphy 1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 272
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cjester

The photo looks like a dip pen to me - no cartridge used.

Places like Exotic Blanks or Classic Nib have a lot of writing nibs, and a limited calligraphy selection. For a good selection of calligraphy specific nibs, you need to use an art supply. Most of these nibs will also be dip rather than cartridge.

If you don't have a good independent art supply near by, you can always order from a supplier like dickblick.com. Blick has a couple different sets of calligraphy or manuscript nibs.

Jolly Red

PSI offers a dip pen kit, which has all the necessary part to make the handle and the insert to hold the nib. the instructions for this kit is also a good place to find out the general steps for making a dip pen. The nib that comes with it is not a calligraphy pen, it is more of a detail pen. To find calligraphy and other nibs, go to an art supply store like Dick Blick.

its_virgil

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
need help on making the actual nib holder? If so, go to Wooden Pens: Buy Handmade unique custom rattlesnake wood pens gifts fountain pen exotic wood from Red River Pens and look at article # 8 in the list. It is about making dip pen nib holders. And, those inserts Bob in SF pointed you to are really nice and I use them exclusively.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Great tutorial Don!

My only comment would be to consider making pin chucks from Harbor freight punch press sets. Just grind a flat section, use an appropriate thin nail for the pin, and you will have every dimension of blank needed, and the punch press rods are still perfectly fine.

Top Bottom