Help with ca finish - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I hear a lot of people say that boiled linseed oil is an accelerator for CA, but I find that my first coat of CA can be put on quite leisurely ... takes perhaps 15 - 20 seconds before I'm in danger of having my applicator start to try to fall apart on me because the CA is seizing on the blank. My pure CA applications afterwards are all 3 seconds or less ... because at about 5 seconds it starts to seize, and I prefer to have a pristine look and smooth surface on my barrels and blanks.

It's something to do with the polymerization process that the BLO initiates in the CA, I think... :)

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 2

There are probably as many different methods to apply a CA finish as there are IAP members. Which one is correct? Whichever one works best for you.

I never use BLO prior to CA application. I tried it several times and it did not seem to make any difference, so I eliminated the step.

I prep my wood surface by sanding it to 400 grit (with the grain) and then wiping it with denatured alcohol (called DNA here on the boards). The alcohol is particularly important for oily woods, such as Cocobolo, where I may wipe it several times.

I use thin CA for my first coat. I just drip a few drops onto the blank while I rub below with a folded paper towel (I only use Bounty brand). For my next 10 to 12 coats, I use medium CA, placing a couple of sizable drops directly on the folded paper towel before applying it to the blank. I wipe in on with a light touch, the idea being to leave as much CA on the blank as possible with as little remaining on the paper towel as possible. I don't mind if I get a few small ridges or an irregular surface on the blank. It will sand smooth. If I get any really high ridges or focal high spots, such as from filling a focal low spot or two with a drop of CA (something I may have to do with some large grained woods), I'll use a skew on the turning blank with light cuts to finely shave the high areas down to the point where I can easily sand them away.

I tried using the little baggies and foam pads for CA application and this did not work nearly as well as paper towel for me. It did build up a thicker CA surface more quickly, so I use it for corncobs or other material where I need to fill in large irregularities on the blank.

I've found that the brand of CA makes a big difference. I use the Satellite City brand found at Woodcraft. I've tried a couple of other brands with discouraging results. I'm sure lots of other brands will work well- they just may vary on the technique you need to use with them. Find one you like and stick with it.

I also do a quick spray of aerosol accelerator between each coat of CA, which eliminates any waiting. Again, the brand and format of accelerator make a big difference. I tried a pump spray bottle and ruined several blanks. The pressurized spray can of NCF Quick works best for me.

Make sure you apply each layer of CA all the way to the ends of the blank. You don't want the ends to have a thinner CA coating. I usually start my CA paper towel wipe at one end and work towards the other, alternating which end I start with for each layer.

Once I have all 12 layers of CA on, I'll start my sanding with 300 grit dry sandpaper, sanding until all the irregular ridges are smoothed down giving the surface a uniform dull matte finish. If you still see a few shiny lines, you've not sanded enough IN THOSE REGIONS. These represent un-sanded CA hiding between some ridges. Take care not to over or under sand the ends of the blank. Stop using the 300 grit as soon as the surface is uniformly dull, with no shiny lines (I highly recommend you use magnification when examining your blank surface after wiping it down with a paper towel). If you have a persistent focal shiny spot or two when everything else is uniformly dull, this likely represents a focal low spot in the wood from the grain or a tiny defect. Rather than sand everything else down to this level, just add a small drop of medium CA to these holes, let it dry, then shave the excess protrusion down to surface level using a skew as described above. You should then be able to easily sand to a uniform dull surface.

Now its a matter of going to finer and finer grits of abrasive. I'll use 400 grit dry sandpaper, then proceed to the wet micromesh pads, starting with the Green (1800) one. You only need to sand until you've removed all the scratches from the prior grit. How do you tell? You use a magnifier to closely examine the surface. I've found it also helps, if needed, to do my final sanding with a grit along the long axis of the blank with the lathe off. This lets you easily see if any of these scratches remain after you sand with the next finer grit using the turning lathe (since the finer grit produces circular scratches around the turning blank whereas the prior grit's scratches will be longitudinal along the blank - any longitudinal scratches remaining means you must sand some more). Once you've made it to the Tan (3200) micromesh pad, you no longer have to worry about removing too much CA.

Again, this method works great every time for me. It may not work for others depending on their techniques or brands they use. That's what makes this craft so interesting.

'I asked the ink drop why it looked so sad. He said his mother was in the pen and he didn't know how long her sentence would be.'
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

I am a pragmatist. I can't for the life of me figure out why we use paper towel for applying CA. It wastes SOOOO much CA. I went that route for a couple of years until I realized how much I was wasting IN the paper towel as compared to how much was actually getting onto the pen.

Of course I was in Japan and CA was available only 1 and 2 oz sizes at 2 times the price of USA - that helped me come to my senses. CA should be used for finish, not making paper towel hard. And PT absorbs soooo much. PT does act as a mild accelerator.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Something else I forgot to mention. When I was starting out, I found a digital caliper to be very helpful. Measure and record the exact diameter of each end and the middle of your blank. Apply your CA coats, then remeasure these locations to see how thick your CA layers are and how uniform you are applying them. When sanding your CA, measure the diameters to see how much you've sanded off (and how much is left on) the blank. These measurements give you a good feel for how your techniques are effecting the CA coating.

Also, your goal should be to have the final finished diameter at the end of the blank at or slightly above (by a few thousandths of an inch) the measured diameter of the component you will be pressing into the brass tube. Frequent measurements of the diameter will let you develop your techniques so you know how low you need to turn/sand your blank so that the CA surface is left at the correct level. You can't rely on bushings for this.

'I asked the ink drop why it looked so sad. He said his mother was in the pen and he didn't know how long her sentence would be.'
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Craft Foam Pad

What is a craft foam pad?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMuller View Post
What is a craft foam pad?
Its the craft foam sold in well craft stores.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...q=craft%20foam
Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 55

The one factor that stands out here is what CA are you using??? Is it thin or medium and what brand???

Everyone has a method and I am a towel guy and love it. It all about how you apply. I use 3 coats of thin and 5 to 6 coats of med and done. MM and polish and out the door.

There are litterly 1000000000's of threads on CA finishing here and the different methods. You need to find your own that works for you. I suggest you find some utube videos and they will show first hand those methods. I wish you luck. Remember right in your very first line of this post. 4th pen. There are people here doing their 40th pen and have not got a CA finish down yet. Do not get frustrated. Take notes of things you tried. It has now been suggested to use oil. There are ways of doing that also but to me not necessary. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

All you guys have been very encouraging. Like i said, i just started doing this and it has already become my favorite thing that have ever committed to. Im so happy for the support on this site. Thank you
Andyww is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads