Help - Botswana blank selection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

A pastor friend of mine has travelled to Botswana, Africa doing some work at a church down there. I would like to make a pen for him, but have no idea what wood to use. Does anyone know what wood might be a good choice and comes from Botswana?

Thanks, Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

Not that these are all that common you should be able to find them (and if not let me know and I'll see if I have extras) but Mopani, Leadwood and Knobthorn are native to Botswana. Bob I.

GoodTurns

thinking back....I got a beautiful snakebeam pen from MitchM in a swap a while back. wood is South African, so likely has a presence in botswana as well. it is a cocobolo-ish looking wood, if that helps!

Stick Rounder

Rhino to the Rescue

Steve,

During my travels in the Army I had the pleasure of visiting Botswana for almost three months. I was part of the advance medical team on a trip there with 3rd Ranger Battalion. Before the main body showed up we had some free time and I purchased from a local wood carver a Rhino. It did not survive the trip back in one piece and has been hibernating in a closet ever since (one ear and both horns broke off). I have been wanting to cut it up and make some pens... now I have the perfect excuse. I will cut it up this weekend and mail you some. Oh by the way, he weighs 38lbs, the guy who sold it to me tried to pass it of as ebony, I'll see when I take the saw to him! :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN1976.jpg
    DSCN1976.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN1977.jpg
    DSCN1977.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

its_virgil

I just purchased some mopani blanks and could send you one if that becomes your choice and you need the blank quickly.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Not that these are all that common you should be able to find them (and if not let me know and I'll see if I have extras) but Mopani, Leadwood and Knobthorn are native to Botswana. Bob I.

Stevej72

Thanks to all who replied to my message. I sent an email to you Doug and Don. 38 pounds is a pretty big piece to be hauling around the world! Sorry to hear that he got broken!

Top Bottom