Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WhiteHare

Still new to this turning thing. Have a nephew who helped me glue up a couple of blanks for a slimline. I wanted him to help as I was teaching him what little I know about turning pens. He wanted to turn a slimline so we bought the blanks and kits. He glued up the blanks and when the glue (gorilla) dried the tubing pushed out the end. Is there a save for this or do we do it all over? I am assuming the length of the tubing needs to be totally in the blank for the parts to hook up to work.
Thanks...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

How much did it push out? You might be ok is it is not much and you use that end for the clip side. If it pushed out too much you may have to drill the tube out and start over or add some extra tube at the other end.

WhiteHare

One was between a sixteenth and an eighth the other was almost an eighth inch.

Thanks for replying so quickly

IPD_Mrs

The nib side you will need to be careful about how much you press the tranny in. You might want to press a little at a time until it pushes the tip out the tight amount on the refill. The clip side should be fine.

Next time use rubberbands when using GG to it does not push them out.

WhiteHare

M&L Thanks for the info. Never thought about rubber bands.
I'll give it a try and see what happens. I know you learn from your experiences...

What if this happens on a pencil kit?

ToddMR

What if this happens on a pencil kit?

On a pencil kit I am pretty sure you would have to do new tubes as the pencil kit is pretty unforgiving on length since the entire thing presses together. At least that is my opinion on it. Otherwise after it's together you might have the pencil mechanism slipping up & down in the blanks.

WhiteHare

Thank You ALL for the insight. I'm learning, It costs but any experience gained is experience gained.
Out to the shop to try to fix the mishap.

truckfixr

You could always turn off about 1/4 inch of the blank to expose the tube, and glue on another piece of contrasting material. Trim and turn as usual. Then position the added pieces at the ends of the pen.

Top Bottom