help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer

I have just started turning pens and I have been having a problem with the blanks that I glued up when I get just about to the point of stopping to finish the blank it just peels off the metal insert. Thus leaving only the metal insert on the mandrel. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Boomer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Boomer, rough up your tubes with sandpaper before gluing them into your blanks. You also might want to try Sumo or Gorilla Glue. There is debate about the best glue but for me, it's these two.

JimGo

I agree with Mikey and Becca, you're not getting good glue coverage. Another tip - if you're new to pen making, and especially if you're new to turning, try a few cigar pens, then come back to the slimlines. If you look at how much (or how little) wood is left on a slimline if you turn it "bushing-to-bushing" (i.e., essentially "flat"), you'll see that it requires a good deal of control, which is something I was lacking (okay, I'm STILL lacking!). A cigar kit isn't much more expensive, but you leave a lot more wood on the tube, thus making the learning curve a little less steep.

kent4Him

One other issue may be that you are sanding too hard and building up heat. That can cause glue problems depending on what glue you are using. I'm with Becca, Gorilla Glue.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
All great advice above. Make sure that your metal tubes fit into the blank without any friction. If the fit is too tight, you will scrape off the glue as you insert the tubes, leaving you with a poor glue interface.

ilikewood

I'm with William....lots of good advice above. Also add to that...don't heat your blank up too much while sanding/finishing as it can also soften the glue used (especially epoxy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom