HELP!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dscm1

I have a couple problems I hope someone can help me with.
1- How do I stop getting ALL of those emails. Every time someone replies to any topic I get an email. I do not check at the bottom to subscribe to a topic, I just don't know how to stop it.

2- how do you keep corian or wood for that matter from splitting while you are assembling the pens. I have had quite a lot split especially the corian. I drives me crazy. Then when it does crack how do you fix it? Sorry that was three questions!!
Thanks for any help!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pipes

I have not made a lot a pens kina new here BUt I never had one split putting it together.. Iam sure someone here will give us a answer I know sooner or later I will need this info !!I have made about 12 pens maybe a few more and so far my only real problem was a bad kit on a searra but it was a easy CA fix !! I do clean my tubes out with a wire gun cleanning brush befor I assemble the pen thou to make sure it free of glue and what have you !

wudwrkr

Topic 1 - In the upper right hand corner of the IAP web site, click on the "Your Subscriptions" link. This will show you what forums you are subscribed to. Unsubscribe to any topic or category you don't want emails from.

Topic 2 - Pipes gave some good advice. Make sure your tubes are clean of any glue or debris. IMO, that is the main problem with splitting. You can also chamfer the tube ends with a countersink bit that will make it easier for you insert the fittings. I would also add that when drilling corian, be careful not to drill too fast and try to keep the blank cool. I also do not drill all the way through the blanks because of blowouts, especially when drilling the 1/2" material. I will stop drilling to where the tube will fit and a remove the excess with my miter saw. I have not found a way to fix the corian cracks, I've tried, but my fixes never look right.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

Most of my cracking problems during assembly, come from glue left in the tube. even a thin film must expend the tube when the part is pressed in. parts not pressing in straight would be second. there is not much of a fix for corian that I know of. wood you can dissasemble the pen put the blank back on the lathe and use the CA Slurry method to fill the crack (basically wet sanding using CA). this works better for some woods than others. Most will fill in without a noticable repair. you can try this for corian as well but I usually end up with the crack still visable.

jwoodwright

I had lots of Corian cracks when I used a 7mm drill bit and CA. Following Russ's tip and using a 9/32 and Poly Glue.
This allows room for the fitting to spread the brass tube...
Poly Glue is messy and I end up cleaning some from the tubes with a barrel trimmer and a rattail file. I also use a countersink to "ease" the tube ends. Finally, make sure you press squarely and evenly. Cracks do happen, it's a brittle material, then you use "oops" bands or turn down the damaged one and try again.

knottyharry

Hey Darren,
You are getting some good advice. I tried the wire brush thing but didn't get the results I wanted with it. So I now have a straight carbide tip tool that goes in my dremel that I use. It breaks any left over glue up pretty quick. Just be careful if you use something like this if can take out the brass too.
So how are things in St. Joe, I used to live just down the road in Platte City.
Have a great day.
Harry

jahlg

I love to do Corian pens, I have a very good supply of material, and have to say i havent had any issues with cracks, but i usually epoxy my tubes in. I agree with everyones theories, have to keep the tubes clean!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom