Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

Okay I need some help! I know that I have read where a few of you have had allergic reactions to different types of wood...I have been out working with Mike in the shop the last two days, we have cut so much wood getting ready for the craft show, I can't really say which one, but I have got itchy whelps all over my arms and where my shoes meet my ankles. (I can only guess that some of the dust settled down there). Needless to say I am miserable today! Has anyone ever had an encounter with a particular one that has done the same thing? Maybe I can narrow it down so I never ever cut, drill or turn that wood![V]

Jen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by jenamison
<br />Okay I need some help! I know that I have read where a few of you have had allergic reactions to different types of wood...I have been out working with Mike in the shop the last two days, we have cut so much wood getting ready for the craft show, I can't really say which one, but I have got itchy whelps all over my arms and where my shoes meet my ankles. (I can only guess that some of the dust settled down there). Needless to say I am miserable today! Has anyone ever had an encounter with a particular one that has done the same thing? Maybe I can narrow it down so I never ever cut, drill or turn that wood![V]

Cocobolo has sometimes this effect on my arms. There are a lot of different woods that can cause allergic reactions, not only exotic one. I think Walnut is one of ours that can cause bad reactions, too. Do a search on this site, this comes up here regularly.

Jen

woodbutcher

Hi Jen,
I know how hot it is, just came in from the shop myself. Any wood can cause that problem you have. I would suggest long pants and a long sleeved shirt. There is really no way out of it especially with some of the exotics we all work with.
Jim

woodwish

It seems that I recently have become an "expert" on this subject, mainly because I have been too broken out to do much else except sit here on the 'puter. IF you have any sensitivity to poison ivy or such then Cocobola or any other member of the Rosewood family WILL cause you to break out where it contacts you, and like poison ivy it gets worse each time you contact it. And then the really good part, it also lowers your skins immune system so contact with anything that causes irritation will break you out in big itchy hives. For example first my arms and around my ankles broke out in blisters from turning some Rosewood. We recently switched to Tide, which normally would not have bothered me, but since I was already breaking out I then got hives everywhere the Tide-washed t-shirts would contact. Thank God I figured that out before we washed my underwear.[:p] So I am washing carefully in the shower with Dove soap, that claims it is good for sensative skin. Things get worse, the dermatoligist tells me that Dove will cause a reaction to people with skin allergies. Got rid of all the Tide and Dove, went back to Cheer and Ivory. The hives get worse in the heat, I see you are in Florida also so getting away from heat is not much of an option except staying inside with the AC on full blast. My contact was about 3 1/2 weeks ago and last night was the first time I felt good enough to go back in the shop. Dermatologists don't beleive the wood would do that but research on the 'net says otherwise. So how do you get rid of it? I got a strong prescription for a steroid (Prednisone) that relieves the swelling, rubbed on hydroscortisone cream and taken antihistimines like they were candy, plus cool showers (hot showers just aggrivates it) and Aveeno baths. I still am a long was from being clear but I promise you I will NEVER turn any relation to rosewood again. I also turn a lot of black walnut and some people say that will also cause problems but it appears to be more of eye irritant and respitory issue, although the bark and leaves from walnut will also cause a rash. Good luck with it, my sympathy and prayers are with you [:D]

OK, stop scracthing! [}:)]

Dario

Check this list/articles:

http://old.mendelu.cz/~horacek/toxic.htm

http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm

http://www.city-net.com/albertfp/toxic.htm

jenamison

Thanks everyone for your help. I am trying to stay away from the different ones you all mentioned. The hard part is Mike and I are trying to get ready for the craft show this weekend. Mike noticed tonight that he has some of the same rash around his ankles. I am hoping that is all he will see because I am miserable! I am really trying not to scratch but I have to be honest, it feels oooohhhh so good to scratch![:I] I was wearing long pants; however I was not wearing a long sleeve shirt, the sad part is that everywhere I can see there was dust on my shirt I have hives there as well. I do know that it was a dark colored wood because of the dust but that doesn't really help. Thanks again everyone

woodwish

I turned a lot of it before without a problem, but something in that piece of cocobola was different. Also turned some rosewood that day and it also is a bad one. Dont' know if it was the cocobola, rosewood, or combo in one day but I gave away all the cocobola and rosewood I had in the shop. Would rather be safe next time until I can be sure what caused my reaction. Good luck with both, they are truely beautiful woods to look at and work with!

bigvoots44

as we are al individuals we react differently to almost anything. What is good for me can be poison to you. It is hard now to find out which wood,if it was a wood,, is the culprit.Try to figure what you cut today and then in the future when you are not pressed for time,try a different one each day or so. that way you may find out what is causing the problem. good luck.
fred

Thumbs

The <b>BWSS</b>* still has room for more of those exotic and unusual woods and will provide long term storage for you! Remember, too, it's free of charge! You send it! I'll keep it! Um, for you! Although we here at the <b>BWSS</b>* have had a few minor problems with our filing and ownership records, I can assure you, one and all, this would never happen to you! Thanks for your support![;)][:)][:D][8D][}:)][:p]

*<b>BWSS</b>= <b>Bob's Wood Storage Sanctuary</b>

Darley

Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />The <b>BWSS</b>* still has room for more of those exotic and unusual woods and will provide long term storage for you! Remember, too, it's free of charge! You send it! I'll keep it! Um, for you! Although we here at the <b>BWSS</b>* have had a few minor problems with our filing and ownership records, I can assure you, one and all, this would never happen to you! Thanks for your support![;)][:)][:D][8D][}:)][:p]

*<b>BWSS</b>= <b>Bob's Wood Storage Sanctuary</b>

What's your charge Bob? really nothing is free in this world, I got 1.5 tone of green wood I don't deliver just for pick up [:eek:)]

Thumbs

Hey! <b>Serge</b>! I just do it all out of the goodness of my heart! I have about 30 acres of storage room left! Just have your guys come in and dump it anywhere but in my driveway. Of course, I have to warn you there are lots of woods rats in central Pennsylvania so leaving it out in the open would almost certainly lead to some loss. ( <b>Whisper... Some of them have names that with Wi.. and Ho.. so you have to be careful even mentioning that wood is being moved around here!</b>[}:)] )

You realize I said free for external storage! If I brought it indoors some of it would probably get mixed in with mine! You probably would have to write those loses off as carrying charges. Sorry![}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom