Helo with engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

I have a customer who wants a few pens with his company logo engraved and filled on a pen. I have never done this before and I am not really clear on the process.

Obviously I make the pen and send the blank to be engraved with the logo. How do I do the fill? It will be a blue acrylic and the egraving needs to be filled in with white. These will be nicer pens...probably will sell at around $100 each, I need them to really look nice.

I would use a decal, but I can't print white, so it doesn't leave me any options that I can think of.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shock me

Talk to your engraver who will probably be happy to do the fill. This may be the best way for just a few pens. If you have a lot to do, or just want to DIY, most use rub 'n buff which us a wax based fill. It's available at Michaels or other art stores, but often only in metallic colors, you may need to shop online for white.

Shock me

You can wipe the excess off with a bit of denatured alcohol on a cloth. Personally, I don't apply CA over the piece afterwards. Probably because I'm awful with CA. You can still feel the engraving, but I've not had anybody complain about that. I imagine a good thick CA layer would give it all a nice shine and make it feel smooth all over. I'd probably make a few extra and try it both ways.

TerryDowning

So with rub'n buff....how you clean it off the pen after the fill? Do you then do a CA finish to protect the fill?

I used rub n buff gold on this walnut barrell to fill the pores in the walnut. I Cleaned off with sanding prior to CA fnish.

The pic is a bit blurry but you can see the effect.
rubnbuffgold.jpg
Here's the whole pen
walnutdesigner.jpg

Terry

watchman7

Gary,
I have done a few pens like you described. I turned the pen below finished size then had Constant laser engrave, filled with rub n buff and wiped off excess. Let dry over night then sand just a little to make sure all the Rub n Buff is gone. Then do a CA build up and CA finish to proper dimension. It gives almost a 3-D look and is smooth and very classy.

BKelley

Gary,

Hermes Engraving Co. off Satellite Blvd near Gwinnette mall has a white paint stick that is used for filling in engraving. I have used it for years and can recommend it highly.

Ben

PenMan1

Gary:
You are in close proximity to Constant (Lazerlinez) in Roswell. I'd call him, maybe get him to take a quick peek and get a professional recommendation. Not only is he a great engraver, he's also a terrific penmaker. He'll give you solid advice.

Top Bottom