hello, how do i turn a stag pen- in san antonio,tx

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pasotewood

I live in san antonio,tx and just started turning pens. I can't seen to find many people here to share their tricks. Not being ugly, just new and most turners I've met don't seem to have time for newcomers' questions. I have stag and would like to know what tools to use to drill and turn with. How do I finish the pen? I have a 3-wheel buffing system, will that work? I know I am asking alot, thanks for your time. Jerry in S.A. TEXAS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Drill it like you would a piece of wood. I wouldn't use pen turning sized tools toturn it with, use full size tools if avaliable. I usually don't put much of a finish on my antler or stag. If I do use a finish its only one thin coat of CA just to fill any pits in it when I'm done turning. You could certainly use the 3 wheel buff if you want to put a shine on it. Welcome to the forum too.

its_virgil

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry:

Your observations are entirely opposite from what I experience. We(here at IAP) are one of the most sharing groups I know. New questions are usually answered...quickly and happily. Maybe your (preconceived)expectations of getting no help are coming true. Maybe you should ask again...in a somewhat different manner. Questions that have been asked 10 times over are answered just as enthusiastically. We have no secrets or special tricks. Check the library to see the articles and videos showing the special techniques that many of us have developed and shared. You will find enough material to keep you busy for two years or so...maybe more. And, my experience has been that woodturners are the most knowledge sharing of all woodworkers...I would even venture to say that woodturners are the cream of the wood working world.

Now, to answer your question. I assume by stag that you mean antler of some kind. You can drill and turn antler into pens using the same tools that you use for wood. If the antler sections are not straight you can mount them between centers and rough turn close to a cylinder which will make the section of antler easier to drill. Curved pieces can be drilled, but drilling out the side of the antler is often a possiblility. I've not miss-drilled an antler blank since I starred rough turning them into a cylinder first.

Boiling antler is another way to soften it enough to staighten it prior to drilling. I do not boil antler but searching on "boiling antler" will find some info. We have a great search feature here.

I turn most all of my pen (all materials) exclussively with a skew, but a sharp rough out gouge also works well with antler. I sand with sandpaper from 320 to 1000, then I sand with micromesh up to 12000. Buffing follows using white diamond. CA can be used as a finish but I've stopped using CA over antler. I don't really see a need since antler polishes to a brilliant shine...smooth as glass.

Some species of antler are porous inside from the bone marrow in the center. Antler is bone, not horn. Horn is an entirely different material. Anyway, if the antler has porous bone marrow inside and if you turn into it, then use CA to fill the voids with a mix of CA and antler sanding dust. Continue turning and refill the voids as needed.

Judicious drilling can often leave some of the outside bark visible on the finished pen. This effect is quite unique and makes for a nice effect.

Some think that antler stinks as it is being drilled, turned, and sanded. The smell is not so offensive to me. Do wear a mask when sanding so you don't breathe the sanding dust. This is a good practice no matter what the material is that you are turning.

Antler makes really nice pens. I do wish you good fortune with you turning and antler pen making.

I hope this gets you started and do ask your questions as you have them. But, ask them with expectations of getting answers. Welcome to the IAP penturning forum.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I live in san antonio,tx and just started turning pens. I can't seen to find many people here to share their tricks. Not being ugly, just new and most turners I've met don't seem to have time for newcomers' questions. I have stag and would like to know what tools to use to drill and turn with. How do I finish the pen? I have a 3-wheel buffing system, will that work? I know I am asking alot, thanks for your time. Jerry in S.A. TEXAS

Last edited:

Rifleman1776

Depending on how big your piece of stag antler is and how curved it may be, drilling straight holes in a curved thingy is often the biggest challenge. A picture of your piece(s) could be helpful. I start (and stay) at fairly high speed [2500 to 3000 rpm], use a 1/2" spindle gouge to start. Be sure it is very sharp. Watch your 'shadow' high spots and use a light touch to bring them down. When you have a fairly round piece switch to a skew. I recommend a 1". Again, very sharp and using a light touch. Finish the turning. If the piece is large you will probably end up with a lot of marrow. Your choice whether to leave as is or fill in. Some fill in with shavings. Some fill with CA, some leave rough. Matter of taste and personal choice. Pictures mandatory when finished.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Don,

I take Jerry's question to mean that he has not found local turners to help him. I hope that is correct and is at least part of the reason he has joined us here at the IAP.

Welcome, Jerry, and be assured Don is right in that you will find this a helpful community. Since you are in Texas, you might be near one of the ranches with exotic animals. The axis deer has an excellent antler for turning. The axis antler has almost no marrow space which makes for outstanding pens in my opinion. As a personal thing, I do not care for marrow space showing in a pen, which is a problem with white tail anter.

I would like to second Don's recommendation to check out the site library. Also, I have a fairly decent collection of pdf articles on turning subjects. Feel free to PM me with questions. I won't be back on my home computer until this weekend, but will be happy to try to provide answers.

its_virgil

Cav and Jerry,
My fingers started typing before my brain engaged. I read "here" to mean here on IAP and not here in San Antonio or in his locality. My apologies.

There are actually several members here on IAP from the San Antonio area. Maybe some will offer help and guidance. Check out the San Antonio Woodcraft for some penturning classes or names of the penturners who shop there.

If you(Jerry, Cav or anyone) are ever in Wichita Falls my shop is open. This offer is open to

Maybe this thead will get more readers if it is moved the proper forum..maybe the "penturning" forum instead of "Members in Need".

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don,

I take Jerry's question to mean that he has not found local turners to help him. I hope that is correct and is at least part of the reason he has joined us here at the IAP.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great information above on all of the posts. I have boiled two different antlers and had great success with them. One antler was about 30 years old and it straightened (I had to straighten it immediately after boiling it). The larger it is, the longer it takes in boiling. I had one about 1 inch in diameter and I thing I boiled it about 30 minutes total and placed it in a wood vise. Be careful though, it takes some good observation to prevent cracking severely curved large diameter antlers. A little at a time, let cool and re-boil, straighten a little and re-boil and straighten . . .

Four turned out beautiful for me, and I still have enough left for a couple of pens. BTW, I used normal pen turning tools on it.

Nick

Jerry,You will find everyone on this site most helpfull!! there is a wealth of information available. Do a search for the various tutorials that are available, if you do not find an answer, post your question and you will get an answer.
Welcome to the site, enjoy!!

Daniel

Jerry, Well you solved your first problem by finding this group. Answers in abundance here. Since your other questions have pretty much been covered I will just put in my vote for turning the antler semi round between centers. I've always done it the hard way and have gotten pretty good at it (ruined a lot of antler as well). The time it takes to try and line up the antler in a vice probably takes longer than turning it anyway.

rherrell

Welcome Jerry! Don gave you a boatload of good advice and all you had to do was ask! That wasn't too hard now was it:question::good::smile-big:

Texatdurango

Jerry, If I were you, I would visit the local Rockler and Woodcraft stores in San Antonio and ask where the local wood turners hang out and meet. Odds are if you go in on a Saturday morning there will probably even be a few turners milling around in the stores, they seem to like these places!

That's how I found out about the local wood turners in my area. I think you are only guessing at how they would react to newcomers. The first meeting I attended at the local turners club meeting, I was greeted with open arms and within a few weeks had old timers asking me over to their shops to show me how to use various tools.

If you ever feel like you want to take a quick "road trip", stay plugged in and the next time we have a local "Bubbasville" pen turners gathering in the DFW metroplex area come on up and spend the afternoon with us, there's not a bashful soul in the bunch!

Or if you ever get through the area, I'm retired, and if home, my shop is always open to fellow turners, so just drop me a note and I'll be glad to spend the day with you sharing what I know.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Jerry,

I would be honored to have you come up to San Marcos one evening or a Saturday or Sunday and I will help you any way I can. Let me know if you want to take me up on this some time.

alamocdc

First, Jerry, welcome. I know a few turners in the SA area (all members here) that would normally be very glad to help you out if and when they have the time. In a few months I will be one of them since I'm coming home (hopefully for good this time). But it will take some time before I will have my shop up. I should be in the area the week of Sept 15th, but things will be hectic for a while. Once I get back online I'll contact you to see if we can get together. If my shop isn't back in commission by then, I can come to yours and try to help out. In the mean time, Don and others have given you some excellent feedback.

redfishsc

Jerry,

I would be honored to have you come up to San Marcos one evening or a Saturday or Sunday and I will help you any way I can. Let me know if you want to take me up on this some time.

You better take him up on that one!

When I first started turning several years ago I had almost the same problem but I ran across this one experienced british fellow that lived in Charleston, SC that taught me the basics on turning bowls and pens. That was a very, very helpful individual.

As far as turning and finishing stag, I can't help you there. I've turned deer antler and water buffalo horn, but they worked a lot like an acrylic, except I was much more cautious and used slower drilling speeds.

Al_T

Jerry, come to the Woodcraft in San Antonio this Thursday night and the local group of pen turners have their meeting. Everyone there will be more than glad to help out. Plus Woodcraft gives 10% off on meeting nights. Show up around 6:00 Meeting typically starts about 6:30.

Alan

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Jerry,

Wow.... Is this offer open to anyone? I've got some knarly worthless desert iron wood that I'd love to get some professional help with turning into some cast blanks.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Wow.... Is this offer open to anyone? I've got some knarly worthless desert iron wood that I'd love to get some professional help with turning into some cast blanks.

ABSOLUTELY, George! My shop doors are open to anyone who is willing to come by! I don't know about the professional part but I can certainly help with the DI casting!! Let me know when you want to come by!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Don, I would consider it the chance of a lifetime to visit your shop. My daughter might be somewhere in Texas for her next duty station so I might get a chance to take you up on that.

Cav

Cav and Jerry,
My fingers started typing before my brain engaged. I read "here" to mean here on IAP and not here in San Antonio or in his locality. My apologies.

There are actually several members here on IAP from the San Antonio area. Maybe some will offer help and guidance. Check out the San Antonio Woodcraft for some penturning classes or names of the penturners who shop there.

If you(Jerry, Cav or anyone) are ever in Wichita Falls my shop is open. This offer is open to

Maybe this thead will get more readers if it is moved the proper forum..maybe the "penturning" forum instead of "Members in Need".

Do a good turn daily!
Don

pasotewood

hi, Thank you for your response. I meant that people here in san antonio in person, are not very helpful. I guess I have not met the right people. Thank you for your answers and I was not refering to this sight. Jerry

pasotewood

Thank you to all, yes I meant here as in person in San Antonio. The site is great and I love the pics. I bought a used machine and it burned out yesterday. I called the seller and he said he knew it was going out but did'nt think I would really use it. So I am out a machine but, I turned 5 pens and fell in love. I will continue to learn here and again, THANK YOU ALL very much. What I will do is keep preparing blanks and saving money for a new machine. Jerry

ElMostro

Hey, nobody asked me ;). If you are interested PM me and I will send my #.
Eugene

Top Bottom