Heirloom Quality Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ograywolf

If I wanted to make a true "heirloom" quality pen (one I could sell with a straight face for $200 to $300...or more), other than disassembling a Mont Blanc, where might I purchase really, really high quality pen kits or parts? (No slight meant to CS or Berea kits...they have good products and great service...but even the CS Empress at $50 each has plastic parts and Taiwan stamped all over the package). (Of course, maybe a Mont Blanc also has plastic parts and is made in Taiwan????) Anyway...any suggestions on sources?

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

Dave

So far the lastest kits comming from CS and Berea are very high quality. They can be made into a collectors pen "Heirloom". Purchase a gold nib from Anthony and you will raise the value of the pen even more.

Another way to make the pen "Collectable" is to dress up the barrel. There are alot of good pen artist on the site that you can learn from. Where it be inlays or as Griz did lazer engrave an art form on the pen. (Note there are alot of great designs out there.. Trying not to just single out griz).

What demains the high price from Mont Blanc, Parker, Auroa, Delta, etc is the name and the fact the companies have been around for awhile. An unique barrel design or unique nib design. Also the filling systems.

This group has made huge in roads on kit quality, The suppliers listen to what we want. You can easy make 200 to 300 dollars on a high end pen kit available today.

Look and learn from IAP.
Alan

alamocdc

Of course, you could always do what Bruce Boone does and fabricate the entire pen yourself. But then you'd have a $1600 pen, not a $200 - $300 one. [;)]

wayneis

First of all its Emperor not Empress and the only plastic in this kit is the nib protector on the inside of the cap and it also has the female threads. Furthermore, I have six kits and the only place that I see the word Taiwan in once on the large plastic bag that holds the parts, in fact the lattle baggies don't even have Taiwan on them nor do the white boxs. I really don't know what more you want out of a kit pen. Personally I would not have any problem at all selling any of the Emperor's that I have made in the $200.00 range, I also would not have a problem sleeping afterwards. The kit parts, in my opinion anyways do not completely make the pen. Without the right material for the blanks, turned right and with a good finish the best kit in the world won't be worth diddly squat.

I don't have any connection to Craft Supply other than being a happy customer, especially now that they came out with the Emperor. I've made several in the last week and I ordered more today. All that I can say is that if you have a problem with the Emperor or even the Statesman line of kits then you are out of luck.

Regards,

Wayne

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I find your postulate to be both interesting and confusing at the same time. You are looking for heirloom quality kits without any components of the kit being fabricated in Taiwan (I assume you would also include other parts of Oceania) or made of delrin, a true space-age polymer. You then go on to wonder if Mont Blanc has plastic parts.

Well, I can tell you for certain that numerous high end manufacturers use "plastic" components. I can also tell you that many of the high end manufacturers use parts made in either Taiwan or other parts of the Pacific Rim.

I would also offer that "heirloom quality" is not something that is imbued by the manufacturer, but is something inured by the owner. I have seen many MontBlancs, Pelikans, Namikis, and Sailors treated by their owners as disposable pens. They only attach monetary value and if the pen does not increase in value (or at least hold the value) then the pen becomes a "workday" pen. On the other hand, many simple Parkers from the 50's have been handed down a generation or two and are kept with pride and reverence...so much so that fountain pen repairmen, such as Richard Binder, make a very good living repairing and restoring these lesser pens.

If you want to make an heirloom quality pen, focus first on making a pen with character. You can move further in the arena of quality and distinction by learning to custom cut each of your fittings and by designing your own embellishments. This is not a simple nor an inexpensive proposition, but with enough effort, dedication and investment it can be accomplished

As for kit pens that can be sold with a straight face for $200-$300, I offer that there are pens being made by members of this organization which are already being sold for those amounts and more. As testimony to that, I can attest to one member who has sold pens to senior management of both Mont Blanc and Omas.

Darley

Dave, Lou and Wayne are right, I don't know a long you're doing pens but I will add, before looking at selling a pen in a hight price range you should do like me, learn from every one here, turn pens and more pens, you will have to learn to choose the blank who fit the kit and some time is not easy especialy when you start talking about the Emperor ( high price kit is true, but you not going to do it with black walnut or maple, do you ? ) I brought 6 kits and love them, put 1 kit on my ship skin and look at it for 20 minutes ( and under magnifier, I'm not the only one to have done it [:D] ) took me 2 days to find the wood I want it, even then I make myself in question if I did the right choice, regarding your question deeply, I think you want sell the bear skin before you kill it, some one put a link on IAP early this year, who one person produce 8 to 10 pens per year in price range of $ 25.000 up, maybe that is what you targeting?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you think it's the guts that put the value to the pen then you better rethink your idea of what a $300.00 dollar pen is made of.
Are you selling art or a writing insturment?
If you took a MOnt Blanc apart and put your own work around it and sold it for $300.00 (if you could) you would be breaking even.(maybe)

wayneis

I might also add that you wouldn't be making to many pens with parts scvaged from Mont Blanc pens, by the time Mont Blanc got done with you, you wouldn't be able to afford the electricity to run a lathe they would sue you so bad.

I also agree with Lou, I've seen several pens crafted by the individuals right here on Iap that could easyily bring $200 to $300.

Wayne

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />
If you took a MOnt Blanc apart and put your own work around it and sold it for $300.00 (if you could) you would be breaking even.(maybe)

I recently quoted 2 Limited Edition Emperors to a doctor for $650 each. He wanted the limited editions in sandalwood - when I do the cost times 3, it brings the price to 647 or so. At that cost, I am not even charging an hourly rate.

Maybe I am too overzealous with my quote. But he agreed, so he must be pleased.

Bill

gerryr

Also being a builder of flyrods, I've seen discussions very much like this on Rodbuilding.org, namely, "I want to build a high end rod and I don't want to use anything not made in the USA." Most of the very best rodbuilding components are NOT made in the USA. Even the US manufacturers have a lot of their parts made offshore to their specifications. Being made in Taiwan doesn't mean it's junk and being made in Germany doesn't mean it's good.

Daniel

Here are some thoughts I often have along the line of this topic.
they are not necesarily directed to this topic specifically but they are appropriate for this thread.
1. making a pen seems easy, only to those of use that can do it.
2. a $300 emporer pen seems really expensive, because each of us could own one for about $55.00
3. there is a tendancy to think that kit parts make our work less valuable. consider that all penmakers use parts to make there pens.
note exclude true made from scratch (Such as Bruce Boones) writing instruments from the above statement, then again they are a class of there own anyway, and still need nibs from somewhere.
4. just how creative do you have to be to consider your work, Artistic?
5. do you find yourself shying away from asking high prices for your work because you would not pay that much for a pen?
for me this has sometimes been true, but I just raised the bar for myself as well. I just paid $190 for one kit and blank and it isn't even a pen yet.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Daniel
<br />
I just paid $190 for one kit and blank and it isn't even a pen yet.

Yeah, but it will be an heirloom for you... and I bet one sweet looking writing instrument...

Ron Mc

I agree with every ones comments on the "Heirloom pen". To date I have been very happy with the quality of the pen kits I have purchased and am pleased to let it rest against my creations. Stand back and look at your kits, take a look at your blanks and let the wood tell you what it wants to be and if it wants additional types of wood with it or if it should be what I call a "stand alone". I certainly wouldn't take apart a Mont Blan* for the fittings. Those fittings don't deserve to be resting next to your, or my, or any other members creations! (My opinion only)
If you get creative and love the creation process as many of us do you will find that a $180.00 - $300.00 pen can be thought up, designed, created, turned, finished, and built with all of the wonderful kits that both CS or Berea supply.
Have fun making your "Heirloom pen" and I hope that it ends up being exactly what you had hoped for.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I think we are missing the boat by equating an "heirloom" quality with a dollar value; and, we are equating that same dollar value to "durability". An "heirloom" is something that is passed from generation to generation, a thing of beauty and a joy forever, and it has nothing to do with how much it cost or where it came from.

What defines an "heirloom" is the association of ownership. It was Dad'd pen, or Mom's, or Grandpa's. Often the object that becomes the most wanted "heirloom" is that special possession that someone let us look at and sometimes we even got to hold in our hands. We knew it was "special", and it will be special to us because it was special to them. And there is no part of that equasion that relates to country of origin, purchase price, or whether it was made from a "kit".

It seems to me that beauty of wood and line, perfection of fit and finish, and durability of finish would be the more important than dollar value in determining whether the pen could become an heirloom. Before it can become an heirloom, it has to outlive its owner. It takes a "special" pen to do that.

If it is our pen, we put some special significance to it or use it all the time; and it is something the kids will fight over when we are gone for no other reason than because it was our's, then it is an "heirloom". And, there is no dollar value that will insure that happening.

Just my opinion.

alamocdc

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />What defines an "heirloom" is the association of ownership. It was Dad'd pen, or Mom's, or Grandpa's. Often the object that becomes the most wanted "heirloom" is that special possession that someone let us look at and sometimes we even got to hold in our hands. We knew it was "special", and it will be special to us because it was special to them. And there is no part of that equasion that relates to country of origin, purchase price, or whether it was made from a "kit".
Russ, I couldn't agree more. I consider this an heirloom.

2005117201058_unknown_kit.jpg
<br />My youngest son made it for me over 6 years ago when he was in the 7th grade. I carry and use it daily (among a few of my own creations). I intend to leave it to one of his kids one day. It's the pen that spawned my interest in pen turning. There's nothing all that special about it really. 24k gold finish (worn down to the chrome in several areas), spalted Texas Pecan, the barrels aren't terribly square and the fit is a bit off, but my son made it specifically for me. That makes it special... at least to me.

Any pen we make and sell will be held as special to the person that buys it, in most cases, and as such will likely be held in some regard by their offspring. I sold a modified SL made from green bowling ball material several months ago and the lady it was bought for refuses to use it. She says it's too pretty to use so it gets displayed in a place of prominence in her home. Another I made was given as a gift and instead of being used, it was placed in a locked display case w/his collection of expensive knives. It too was a simple modified SL. I can only imagine what will become of the Gents and Jr. Gents that I've sold as gifts at a substantially higher price. It is my hope that they will be joyously used, but we have no control over what becomes of them when they leave our possession.

ograywolf

Thanks for the many good responses to my (apparently provocative) question. I do sense a certain amount of passion out there! Hope I didn't offend anybody. Also, can't imagine why I called it an Empress pen when I was sitting there looking at the box that says "Rhodium Emperors Pen." Duh.

Thanks largely to you guys (and gals) my quality and production rate are coming up to a decent level with all the tips and methods. I'll have about 250 pens done by December Christmas gift show time...spanning from Slimlines to the Emperor, and from all three manufacturers. Started with PSI, then Berea, and just placed a $1000 order with CS for another 100 pens. I think I was feeling pretty grouchy (disappointed) about all the plastic on the Berea El Grande and Churchill pens that I just started work on. Probably shouldn't have dis'd the Emperor until I got done building my first one.

The heirloom pen question came primarily because I would like to do a few pens just for pure fun (versus 25 to 50 a week for sale), that I would give to my sons and special friends, and maybe sell for a chunk of cash once in a while.

I am still sorting out my desired niche, markets and pricing (and also building inventory). I've read all of the forums about marketing and pricing, etc...but I guess I won't really know until I put them on a table in front of a crowd!

Thanks,

Dave

alamocdc

Dave, if I wanted to give one of my kids a really special pen, I wouldn't have a problem giving them a Jr. Statesman, Statesman, or Emperor... or even a Jr. Gent, Baron, or Gent for that matter. As long as they were TN or platinum. They would last and I know they would be cherished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom