Heck, wood grows on trees!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As a new turner in 1993ish, I bought a nice stash of olivewood (at the time where it came from was not part of the name). Made some peppermills, pens, general stuff and used all the olive. So, I went to buy some more.

NONE available - Rockler, "The wood store", on-line NOBODY had olive. It was about 4 years later that I found some.

Same was true of Pink Ivory and Pao Ferro - I bought a load then couldn't find replacements.

I mention this because I might have been unfair in my comments about amboyna burl yesterday. Maybe with the internet, ALL woods will be available ALL the time. But my experience has led me to really TREASURE good wood pieces and price them accordingly.

For example, I bought the "exhibition grade amboyna" that CSUSA offered several months ago at $3ish per blank. When I got the pieces they are fantastic!! I had 15 pieces, but I have only made 2 pens for display at a time and I have been successful in getting nearly $200 each. Because I don't know how long it will be before I see this opportunity again, I believe this price is justified.

So, what do you all think. Am I being overly protective of my gorgeous blanks??? Can we get ANY wood ANY time in this age of the internet????

Is there such a thing as RARE wood or EXTREMELY beautiful grain??

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ed, I cannot tell from your post if the exhibition grade amboyna burl truly lives up to the billing. I will be more than happy to grade it for you; my mailing address will follow by PM.

No, don't bother to thank me; I only want to help.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cav,

While I recognize you are very well versed in wood evaluation, I am willing to forgo your expertise, as long as the pens are selling.

Since you insist, I won't bother to thank you!

IPD_Mrs

Like the insane burl Nolan had several months ago, there are just some blanks that are a once in a lifetime opportunity. Well maybe a couple times in a lifetime with the internet. Quality to die for wood with a great finish should demand an appropriate price, if for no other reason than to see that it goes to someone who will appreciate the wood.

As an added note, send a board off of a pallet to Cav and see if he knows the difference.[:p]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The wood that is still available is just that...available. I may charge a premium, since I usually pay a premium, but the danged stuff grows on trees! I have one blank from a limb from an oak from the South lawn of the White House. Knowing how the National Park Service loves to mulch all of the trimmings, I'm holding out with this blank...but only for so long.

Gary Max

Yup----I got a nice pile of Iron Bark Burl stashed----pens start at $150.00 and go up from there---outside of Nolan where are you ever going to see any. The most expensive pen in my inventory right now is a MescalBean root Burl---I don't care if I ever sell it----it's a real job just finding these prizes.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />
Is there such a thing as RARE wood or EXTREMELY beautiful grain??

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your comments.

I personally don't believe there is such a thing as in what I would classify as "rare" "extremely beautiful grain". What I can say it that because of our pen turning "obsession" we are prompting some of our wood resellers to ask and actually fetch some obscene prices. Paying $20 or more more a blank would have been an incredible sum to pay back in 1993. Today, I don't think too many of the more 'serious' CREATORS here would even flinch at some of the current prices.

Beautiful wood has been around for ages and it is now at a point where it's looked upon as more of as a "treasure" than ever before. This is in part attributed to the keen eye of today's progressive and more demanding pencrafter. I just hope that I may afford tomorrow's premium pen blanks without having to mortgage both the house and the shop.

-Peter-[:)]

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I have on more than one occasion viewed a bowl blank, pen blank, or other such wood, and said, wow that is some beautiful stuff, only to hear the practical side say, and yeah, it is priced accordingly. I usually regret not getting the wood when I first see it, because someone else usually snaps it up. My motto now is, if the wood strikes me as being "unique" and speaks to me, I get it right then and there. I know several artists that do the same with yarn, fabric, glass beads and other supplies.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some beautiful wood for some is not so for others. Wood is and will be around, but wood is unique in some cases, and may not ever be duplicated in the exact way. If the wood is speaking to you, and you can do it justice, get it, and make something that the rest of us can marvel at!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />The wood that is still available is just that...available. I may charge a premium, since I usually pay a premium, but the danged stuff grows on trees! I have one blank from a limb from an oak from the South lawn of the White House. Knowing how the National Park Service loves to mulch all of the trimmings, I'm holding out with this blank...but only for so long.

Careful Lou!!!

Rumor has it they may be calling it the "Pink House" soon!!!

Then your "White house wood" will be obsolete (along with the "first gentleman" ----using the term VERY loosely)!![:D][:D][:D]

alamocdc

Ed, I fully understand, and actually agree to a point. Yes, it grows on trees and nature will inevitably reproduce something as nice and spectacular. The question is will you be at the right "place" at the right time to obtain it? One never knows. I got some spalted Spanish Oak from Coach once that fits this category, and some 300 year old Heritage Live Oak burl from Dario that I feel the same about. Can I replace it? Maybe... someday, but in the mean time items created from this "special" timber will garner a premium. It may be a judgment call, but it is based on our experiences at the time. Right, wrong, or indifferent that's just the way it is.

Concerning beautiful grain, that's a bit different. What I find striking, some may find only moderately attractive and vice versa. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom