Heating Pink Ivory to Enhance Color

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I know that if I heat Purpleheart for a few minutes in a 350 degree oven, it deepens the color. Does anyone know if the same holds true for Pink Ivory? I have some blanks that are a nice deep pink, and others that are very pale. I was wondering if heating the pale ones will make them a deeper color.

If no one knows, I guess I'll have to give it a try! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Jim, although I've heard several ways of darkening the color of Purple heart. I don't recall any of them being applied to pink ivory. My first guess woudl be to say they are different animals. but who knows. and I think if you turned the heat up enough even pink ivory would darken. something near Ebony but real light and crumbly. some people call it ash:)
sorry I can't help but seriously you may give it a shot. I think the worst you would do is have a warm blank.

JimGo

Thanks Daniel! I was thinking of trimming a small piece off one of my lighter colored blanks to see what happens. I know PI is sensitive to heat, so I'll have to control how the temperature is added and removed (e.g., put it in the oven while the oven is cool and gradually increase the temp, and then let the oven cool on its own, too.

Makes me think I need a toaster oven in my shop! :)

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Jim, Pink Ivory is extremely heat sensitive, it can crack from just sanding too agressively and overheating the blank... I would not suggest heat to bring out the color... as for the pale and bright colored blanks, that is just something we all have to live with... wood colors vary... and unless you specifically ask for matching colored blanks from your supplier (and he has the time to hand pick for you... or is even willing to do so) you are at the mercy of what is in stock...

JimGo

Tom,
Its actually more interesting that that...I intentionally bought some light colored woods (called the "B" blanks) from WoodTurningz. Thought I'd see how they looked color-wise.

Lou, thanks for the feedback. Have you tried putting it in the sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom