Heather pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I understand from previous posts that there was some interest in the pens made from heather that were seen on Discovery channels 'How its made' programme. This episode has just been viewed in the UK [as usual some months behind].
I make those pens for Heathergems from the compressed blocks of heather and I thought it may be of interest to let you know how I make them. Firstly, the tools have to be extra sharp and in some cases I keep the sharpener running as the edges are blunted very quickly. The blocks do contain small voids which are small airpockets left from the compression process, and usually appear near the finished shape! I fill these using the dust saved from the turning process and then smooth using the sandpaper and ca glue method. I sand down to 500 grit and then use micromesh, wet and dry down to 12000 and finish with the ca glue method of finishing, usually 5 coats and a last coat of Renaissance wax.
I have made other types of pen with the heather but the customer prefers the European type pen. The blocks are not for sale as the process to make them is very labour intensive and therefore they are quite expensive. I hope this has explained things to those of you who asked when the film was first shown. I will try to post some images of the pens and other items I make for Heathergems.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GColeman

Heather Gems

I remember watching that episode when it first aired. The pens you made for the show were spectacular. I would really like to see some pictures of the pens.

I, like many others, researched obtaining some heather gem blanks. I think the company that makes them would be surprised at what pen makers would pay for them. The limited availability would make them even more appealing. Just my opinion but I think there would be a market.

Thanks for the info on the heather gems. And welcome aboard.

I am trying to put some images of the pens here but I am having trouble with the sizing and not being that good with the computer can anybody point me in the right direction?

Top Bottom