Heap of OLD oak slabs!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

Got lucky today (I think) Loaded down my pickup with a load of old spalded red and white oak planks and slabs from a shut down band saw mill that had been sawing huge old logs into flooring. I turned a couple of small blocks with a ca finish just to see how the wood looked,it looks great,wish I knew how to post a pix.I'm going to cut it up and let the wood dry out some then if anyone would like to have some to try out I'll be glad to share.(Got enough for about 10,000 blanks:eek:) BTW I'm soaking a couple softer pieces in Minwax to see how it works.pap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Did you happen to check and see if they were cutting up any cocobolo burl
logs to make flooring? :tongue:

glycerine

Got lucky today (I think) Loaded down my pickup with a load of old spalded red and white oak planks and slabs from a shut down band saw mill that had been sawing huge old logs into flooring. I turned a couple of small blocks with a ca finish just to see how the wood looked,it looks great,wish I knew how to post a pix.I'm going to cut it up and let the wood dry out some then if anyone would like to have some to try out I'll be glad to share.(Got enough for about 10,000 blanks:eek:) BTW I'm soaking a couple softer pieces in Minwax to see how it works.pap

Once you get them cut up, I'll take some off your hands. Let me know what you want for them...

bitshird

Good firewood.
IMHO, a waste of time for pens.

Frank, I've had some whit Oak that's been pretty nice, like this one, of course every one sets their own standards as to whats hot and whats not.

Attachments

• Cigar,-Oak-Burl-2.jpg
    Cigar,-Oak-Burl-2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 203

GregHight

A friend of mine gave me a piece of junk wood that fell off of a truck in Arkansas. It looks like it was old flooring and it has made some of the most incredible pens, but I have NO clue what it is. Anyway, don't discount it because it was used for wood flooring. Will post a pic of mystery wood later. If I knew what it was, I could get more (maybe).

bitshird

I've had a number of requests for oak pens. Some folks like local woods.

I agree, I've been doing a bunch of Cherry and Walnut pens for shows, Cheap slimlines, all of the better blanks go on better kits, but once in a while I get some neat crotch wood and burl, that looks nice on a better kit.

Top Bottom