Headstock Help!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just starting to attempt closed-end pens...

Wanted a headstock drill chuck with drawbar to hold my pin chucks.

I ordered from Little Machine Shop :

Arbor Drill Chuck 2MT with a drawbar tap (DO6-o3) 1883

1/2 " drill chuck (AO8-02) 1212

Very economical!

Both arrived and look excellent. BUT... (I'm hoping this is a stupid and easily answered question...). If the arbor is a pressure fit into the chuck, and the arbor is held in by the drawbar, will the chuck stay put???

I appreciate any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Sounds similar to mine, the chuck is held on by a small taper, it will hold fairly well, but it CAN come apart. The Drawbar is not going to pull it apart, all that does is hold the MT tight in the taper. I take care to NEVER use it cutting AWAY from the headstock unless the piece is trapped in with the tailstock. As long as you are cutting toward the headstock, the likelyhood of it coming loose is practically none.

Also, make sure both ends are clean when you assemble it and be sure it is seated in nice and firm, I tap mine a few times with a hammer to be sure it seats good. As long as you are always aware that it is possible for it to come apart there and plan for avoiding it, and keep your safety in mind, it should work just fine.

I did not have a drawbar when I first got a drill chuck, and the MT Taper came loose very easily, while the chuck never would. Once I put the drawbar on, it was rock solid, but the chuck did come loose when I was working on some small pieces and not using the tailstock, because I was cutting away from the chuck.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sounds similar to mine, the chuck is held on by a small taper, it will hold fairly well, but it CAN come apart.

Hi Todd. Sounds the same. I suspect it will hold for cuts into the headstock. But I was actually hoping to order a complete arbor/drill chuck. I can get it at PSi, etc... but I like the quality of others places better.

Thank for your thoughts.

toddlajoie

Yea, I know I've seen some that have a screw inside the chuck to hold it to the arbor, and that would CERTAINLY make me more confident on using it unsupported...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks Todd. I'll call LMS shop tomorrow. Maybe others will post thoughts tonight; but I'll let you know what I find. The parts I got were very reasonable... $30 with shipping, so this is not a tough one.

Charlie_W

Mark, I use tail stock support while turning and sanding and then pull it back to finish off the very end. I use a mandrel saver in the tailstock and turn a small nub to stick in the mandrel saver...maybe just 1/8". Works fine. I also cradle my hand behind the piece as I turn the very end to hold it steady. Should the Chuck come loose, your hand is already there while you power down.

lwalper

... or, when you assemble the mandrel to the chuck, in addition to giving it a bit of a twist and a sharp whack with your mallet, put a drop of thin CA in there.

KBs Pensnmore

I usually drop the arbour in the freezer for a couple of hours to "shrink it" then drop it in the chuck. Have found that on some of the cheaper items, they are not turned true, causing the chuck to be out when drilling.
Also another trick is the Morse taper be sprayed with WD40, apparently it stops the taper from coming out easily.
Kryn

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I use tail stock support while turning and sanding and then pull it back to finish off the very end. I use a mandrel saver in the tailstock and turn a small nub to stick in the mandrel saver...maybe just 1/8". Works fine. I also cradle my hand behind the piece as I turn the very end to hold it steady. Should the Chuck come loose, your hand is already there while you power down.

Hi Charlie: I do exactly that also, and it works fine. Just suspecting that if I have the "opportunity" to screw something up, eventually.... :tongue:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I usually drop the arbour in the freezer for a couple of hours to "shrink it" then drop it in the chuck. Have found that on some of the cheaper items, they are not turned true, causing the chuck to be out when drilling.
Also another trick is the Morse taper be sprayed with WD40, apparently it stops the taper from coming out easily.
Kryn

Wifey says after the CA got mixed up with the salad dressing the kitchen is off limits to "tools...":eek: (Nice suggestion).

Top Bottom