Headstock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

Hello All, this will let you know how green I am. I am looking at buying this starter set Basic Pen Making Starter Set for #2 Morse Taper: without Lathe at Penn State Industries from PSI. I haven't decided for sure but my first stupid question is, how do you mount this mandrel to the headstock? I'm going to order a special live center for the tailstock but the headstock throws me of. I know I probably gave you all a good laugh but I can't visualize it. Any help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Most lathes (PSI has a list in the product description) have a hole in the spindle/threaded piece/headstock (OK - I can't remember what that piece is called) that the Morse taper on the mandrel should slide right in to.

Ed McDonnell

Hi Craig - We all have to start somewhere, so don't feel bad about asking the question. At least you know what a headstock is, so that put's you way ahead of most of the population! :biggrin:

Anyway, the spindle on your lathe is threaded on the outside to accept chucks, faceplates and such. The inside of the spindle should have a taper to it. A "Morse Taper". Your documentation should tell you whether it's a #1, #2, #3 or whatever size taper. #2 is very common and that is the size mandrel that is offered in the package you linked.

You just push the end of the mandrel (the end with the Morse taper) into the spindle and friction holds it in place for turning (supported by a live center in the tailstock).

If your lathe doesn't have a morse taper in the spindle, then you would need something else.

I would encourage you to consider doing a little more research before spending $100 on that package. Carbon steel gouges will take a very fine edge, but the edge is not as durable as HSS (High Speed Steel) . Carbon steel can also be "ruined" if you get it too hot while sharpening on a grinder. (Google "carbon steel losing temper"). Which raises the question "How do you plan to sharpen your tools?". Sharp tools make all the difference in success in turning.

The package you linked isn't bad. You just might be able to do better for the same or less money. Consider asking for alternative recommendation on the forum here.

Good luck.

Ed

Kragax

Thanks for the replies. I am planning on a Harbor Freight lathe. The specs say the tailstock is a MT2. Is it safe to assume the headstock is MT2 as well?

Ed McDonnell

Thanks for the replies. I am planning on a Harbor Freight lathe. The specs say the tailstock is a MT2. Is it safe to assume the headstock is MT2 as well?

I would not assume that it is MT2. If you post the model number you are looking at, maybe someone here can tell you. Or call HF customer service (good luck with that). Or take something with a MT2 taper to the store and check for yourself (make sure there is a knock out bar handy in the store before you jam your taper into the lathe spindle, just in case it can't then be pulled out by hand). I seem to remember some discussion about HF lathes headstock taper (or the lack thereof) here last year some time.

Ed

Kragax

I'm looking at sku
65345 Benchtop Wood Lathe - 5 Speed All it says is headstock taper, yes. I tried to get info from them and nothing yet. The store is 50 miles from here.
I want to learn to do this but I'm disabled and money is tight. I can't afford too many mistakes. I carve wooden signs but the market has slacked off I was hoping to make pens also as a hobby and a filler for no sign work

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

It looks like a jet knock-off, so it likely is MT2 for the headstock. You might check the customer reviews / comments on the HF website. I'll bet someone posted about it because it would be a pretty important thing to know.

Ed

Kragax

Yup, found it in the reviews both are MT2. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll pick it up next week. Then I just have to scare up the money for the rest of the tooling. Thanks again.......Craig

BSea

I have a friend who has that lathe. While it's possible to get a lemon, his works great, and I've liked using it.

Back to your original question: I'd spend some time in the Forum Library reading everything you can about turning. 1st off I'd suggest read Penturning 101.

There are options out there for turning that you may want to consider. One in particular is Turning Between Centers. This method doesn't use a mandrel, and has some advantages, and some disadvantages. I spent several hour reading about tools and accessories before I bought anything. And FWIW, I've never owned or used a pen mandrel. I'm not saying my way is the best way, but you should be aware of the all options before spending money on things you might never use.

epigolucky

I'm looking at sku
65345 Benchtop Wood Lathe - 5 Speed All it says is headstock taper, yes. I tried to get info from them and nothing yet. The store is 50 miles from here.
I want to learn to do this but I'm disabled and money is tight. I can't afford too many mistakes. I carve wooden signs but the market has slacked off I was hoping to make pens also as a hobby and a filler for no sign work

It's an M2 taper, this is what I am currently using.

wyone

I started using a standard mandrel with MT2 and live center. I used it a lot, but found that I got tired of the brass nut that holds it all together and my fumbling fingers dropping it. I went to a mandrel saver and I love it! I do not think it costs much more but it is WAY more convenient.

Feel free to ask ANYTHING in here. I am fairly new still, but these people are really just awesome at helping new people learn.

Have fun!

Drewboy22

It's thread revival Sunday!!!

Any updates on the lathe, Craig? I am looking at this very lathe and one of my questions, about the headstock, was answered in this thread already.

How are you liking the lathe? Lots of good reviews on the HF site. Did you get a better live center, or any other accessories that made it better for you?

Sorry for all the questions but I am just starting out and I hate coming home with something only to find it wont work right until I buy something else...

Thanks,

Drew

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
One thing I noticed in the instruction manual (I downloaded it to try and answer the question about the headstock morse taper but it didn't say). You will need to make a knockout bar to knockout the spur center, pen mandrel etc that you mount in the headstock taper. Weirdly enough, a knockout bar is NOT included wth the lathe. I have the harbor freight VS Mini-lathe and a knockout bar DID come with it but the instructions say "Not included" with the one you want to buy. IF you buy chisels from Harbor Freight, get the BEST Ones. Don't try to get by with the cheaper ones. It's worth the difference in price. I'm handicapped too so feel free to ask me questions if want to

mecompco

One thing I noticed in the instruction manual (I downloaded it to try and answer the question about the headstock morse taper but it didn't say). You will need to make a knockout bar to knockout the spur center, pen mandrel etc that you mount in the headstock taper. Weirdly enough, a knockout bar is NOT included wth the lathe. I have the harbor freight VS Mini-lathe and a knockout bar DID come with it but the instructions say "Not included" with the one you want to buy. IF you buy chisels from Harbor Freight, get the BEST Ones. Don't try to get by with the cheaper ones. It's worth the difference in price. I'm handicapped too so feel free to ask me questions if want to

I picked up the HF 10x18 back on Father's Day (couldn't resist the sale plus coupon). It does have MT 2 on both HS and TS and seems to work well. Even though it said a knock-out rod wasn't included, it was on mine as well. Really the only PITA about this lathe is speed changes, so I just leave it on full speed and use my metal lathe for slower-speed operations.

monophoto

While it is theoretically possible for a lathe to have different headstock and tailstock tapers, I believe that in most cases the two ends are the same.

My knowledge isn't exhaustive, but the only situation I'm aware of where the tapers are different is one of the big Oneway lathes - MT3 on the headstock, and MT2 on the tailstock.

But you do have to be careful with the specifications of the Chinese-made mini and midi lathe. The first lathe I owned came with a user manual that very clearly said that the headstock was a 1x8 thread when in fact it was a 3/4x16.

TurtleTom

If you are a determined scrounger and DIY'er, there is very little you can't make with the information you can get for free via Google. The only drawback like Ed pointed out with the HSS tools, you will expend more time and energy sharpening and building. Many of us do it for the love of just making tools. There are no dumb questions.

WriteON

Before you turn the power switch on be sure to abide by all safety rules. Protect your eyes, faces, lungs, hands, no loose clothes, etc. Understand the lathe itself. Do not learn anything the hard way.

Top Bottom