Hazardous Dust mask on a budget ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I'd probably screw up and breathe in through my nose! I guess you could drill a hole in the snorkle, attach a lanyard with a clothspin on the end to clip over your nose![:D]

Fred

Dave, The idea mentioned will work for a while until one gets tired of it.

My thoughts on the matter are ... Can you afford to have respiratory problems that possibly will plague you for the rest of your life, or, can you save up enough money to get yourself a danged good and efficient sealed face mask type device, i.e., the Trend mask or similar device. That way you can eliminate most of the dangers associated with fine particulate matter.

Just remember, If you don't have your health then just what do you have?

Exotic wood dust is lethal and can and will cause long lasting health problems that far, far out weigh the cost of medical treatment(s). Don't play around with the stuff at all! [;)]

edstreet

Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />Dave, The idea mentioned will work for a while until one gets tired of it.

My thoughts on the matter are ... Can you afford to have respiratory problems that possibly will plague you for the rest of your life, or, can you save up enough money to get yourself a danged good and efficient sealed face mask type device, i.e., the Trend mask or similar device. That way you can eliminate most of the dangers associated with fine particulate matter.

Exotic wood dust is lethal and can and will cause long lasting health problems that far, far out weigh the cost of medical treatment(s). Don't play around with the stuff at all! [;)]

Because of the erotic dust problems and etc I found a good respirator to use.

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-Quicklatch-Cartridge-Respirator/dp/B0000DCBDQ

The P100 filters does a superb job with everything, lead, asbestos, pain fumes, wood dust, mold, allergens, etc..

My dad has COPD from 40 years of heavy smoking and now he's paying the price for it. Just watching someone suffer thru that should be more than enough deterrent for a respirator. At $40 (tops) it's a no brainer. Wise man once said if you smell it you are breathing it.

Ed

Originally posted by edstreet
<br />
Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />Dave, The idea mentioned will work for a while until one gets tired of it.

Because of the erotic dust problems and etc I found a good respirator to use.

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-Quicklatch-Cartridge-Respirator/dp/B0000DCBDQ

The P100 filters does a superb job with everything, lead, asbestos, pain fumes, wood dust, mold, allergens, etc..

My dad has COPD from 40 years of heavy smoking and now he's paying the price for it. Just watching someone suffer thru that should be more than enough deterrent for a respirator. At $40 (tops) it's a no brainer. Wise man once said if you smell it you are breathing it.

Ed

If it filters down to one micron yes it's good.
P100 filters are good, I'd stay away from P95 filters
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/

edstreet

If it filters down to one micron yes it's good.
P100 filters are good, I'd stay away from P95 filters
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/

From the Manufacturer
Quickly replacement cartridges in that AO Safety model 95090 Quicklatch PRO Respirator for continued lung protection from paints, pesticides, organic sprays and vapors, mold, chlorine, muriatic acid, lead dust, asbestos, and more! This high efficiency particulate Hepa filter removes 99.97 percent of .3-micron matter for safer breathing and healthier lungs. Niosh Approved

Home depot and lowes stock this unit and p100 canisters. Unit is something like $35 and filters are $15. With wood working you can get loads of mileage from it.

I started off using those dust mask bs things and after working with some rosewood I had a week long asthma attack (allergic asthma btw) after that I swore off on all dust mask and went to a respirator.

Ed

Federman

had a site where you could get half respirator and P100 with organic vapor cartridges for $18. Plus just P100 replacements for $7
This was a almost tewo years ago. When I get home and find it I will post.

Used this stuff originally for auto body work and painting. Worked great. Use it now for sanding and applying finishing materials.
Just changes cartridges after every full week of use or keep in airtight bad until you use again.
If you smell vapor throw away the cartridge, not filtering anymore.

Federman

Originally posted by Federman
<br />had a site where you could get half respirator and P100 with organic vapor cartridges for $18. Plus just P100 replacements for $7
This was a almost tewo years ago. When I get home and find it I will post.

Used this stuff originally for auto body work and painting. Worked great. Use it now for sanding and applying finishing materials.
Just changes cartridges after every full week of use or keep in airtight bad until you use again.
If you smell vapor throw away the cartridge, not filtering anymore.

Ok site changed a litte since the last time I was there.
but half respirator and p100 filter only still costs only $18 good particle mask and filtration.
you could get vapor filters somewhere else, $42 seems a bit crazy, not sure if this is for one set.
http://weilerwelding.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/respirator.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom