Having trouble with pencil kits (from WoodTurningz)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vferdman

I have tried to make some pencils using slimline kits from Wood Turningz. To my dismay I failed miserably in assembling these things. I bought three kits and all three have not come together. The wide part on the mechanism seems to get stuck in the center ring or down lower and when I tried to pull it back out to evaluate the problem, the tip came off and got stuck in the bottom part and now I can not get it out. What am I missing? I have made a few slimline pens and assembly was easy, but the pencils are giving me all kinds of trouble. Is there a trick I am missing here or are these just a PIA to assemble.

Joey-Nieves

I use there pencils and they the same kits you get almost everywhere, so I don't think that theirs a problem with the kit (but then again things do happen). I start by mounting the tip, on the newer models they have an insert that you press into the tube, then I press the center band into the lower section. Then I press the cap and clip, and last I press both parts together.
I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo7YbrDMTCs that may help you just don' do both parts at the same time because the risk of splitting you pen is greater.

Joey
4f pen wizard apprentice

beck3906

Test fit the mechanism through the center band hole before assembly. If it fits, assemble and retest. If it doesn't fit after assembly, run a small file throughout the center band to ream out slightly. The center band may be a bit cocked over and creating a tight fit.

If it doesn't fit before assembly, file the hole.

Top Bottom