Having chipout problems with amboyna burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

keithz

I've lost three blanks so far while turning a slim pen. I am using a very sharp, well honed skew to cut the wood and just as I am getting to the thinness I desire, the end of one of the tubes chips out. It is not glue failure, it is wood failure. I even tried saturating the wood with CA as I got thinner.

I am baffled as to what to do.

Any thoughts?

keithz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Save yourself from frustration by sending me all of your amboyna blanks [:p]

Take lighter cuts. Perhaps even turn with a little more shape rather than bushing to bushing, to provide a litlle more 'meat' near the ends.

Dario

Are you using the skew in slicing manner or scrapping?

If the later, try slicing. Also try applying thin CA at the ends after milling. If that still fails, I am with Stan [:D].

keithz

I'm slicing the wood with a paring cut, not scraping. I guess I'll try scraping on the next one. I'll also use more thin CA. A customer has ordered two pens from amboyna and I really want to complete the order.

Thanks

keith

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You can usually fill the chip outs with sawdust and CA if they're small. I first fill the hole with sawdust, then use a toothpick or nail to drop a small about of medium CA on it and hit it with a little accelerator. If small, I do this on the lathc - if larger, I remove the blank first. After filling, sand to round. May take more than 1 fill, but very worth it to save Amboyna.

DocRon

Also use CA on the ends before milling and again before mounting on the lathe. Maybe as I get near to the completion of the turning, in the really bad cases.

keithz

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />High speed, light touch. You use a skew, that's good, is it a large one? e.g. 1"

Using my 1/2" Kryo skew, taking light cuts. I hone the skew several times while turning wood; before starting the blank, during the turning, and before finishing cuts.

I think I will be using more CA during the turning process.

keith

dbriski

If your going to be using more thin CA, on the lathe, I reccomend making sure your bushings and mandrel are well waxed so the CA doesn't stick. My thin CA likes to get all over everything and the wax has really helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom