Haven't turned yet... looking for good quality pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

I was just wondering if there is a reputable, good priced store that sells quality pen kits either piecemeal or all together. I've never turned a pen yet, but from what I read you don't want to put cheap parts on a nice pen that you worked hard on (assuming you care a lot about your quality).

I was going to place an order from PSI, but I dont know... something tells me that there has to be a place that "insiders" on this forum know about who really sell good stuff that a pen maker appreciates.

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

In no particular order
Exoticblanks.com
Classicnib.com
Smittyspenworks.com
Woodturnerscatalog.com
Wood-N-Whimsies.com
Woodturningz.com
Beartoothwoods.com
Timberbits.com
Arizonasilhouette.com

I'm sure i've missed some too, but others may chime in.
I like to deal with the vendors here on the IAP first. Great people, great service.

Harry

rossvh

I have to say that probably 1/3 of the pen kits i get are from my local Woodcraft store. Not so much because they are better - but because I have established a relationship that provides a level of first hand customer service that I think is critical. I have returned several pens where the plating failed or the product was not consistent and they took care of it without question. That's worth a lot. I have also ordered from Exoticblanks etc (see above list) and they are excellent as well. My point is - yes quality matters but so does customer service. Get both and you're set for life as a pen tuner!

Karl_99

PSI offers some nice kits. While there may be mixed opinions on this site, I have experienced excellent service. The vendors that Lombard suggested are all good options.

Good luck

Ambidex

I was just wondering if there is a reputable, good priced store that sells quality pen kits either piecemeal or all together. I've never turned a pen yet, but from what I read you don't want to put cheap parts on a nice pen that you worked hard on (assuming you care a lot about your quality).

I was going to place an order from PSI, but I dont know... something tells me that there has to be a place that "insiders" on this forum know about who really sell good stuff that a pen maker appreciates.

Thank you.

It took me a few months to worry about the quality of the kits I was using..why are you worried about the quality of a kit if you haven't even turned one yet?..Try the cheapos till your sure your work will fit a higher end kit.....nothing sucks worse than wasting a high-end kit on a uh..uh..crappy blank or turn or finish suck..DAMHIKT:rolleyes::biggrin:

flyitfast

Go to Exotic Blanks
Great customer service, good prices and fast shipping.
If you have a problem give Ed a call, he's always willing to answer questions. He also has several videos on his site that can help.

Definitely, +1 on that. Ed is also a member here and and a great educator.
That said, there are a lot of other members here that are also great vendors.
Here is a list from the IAP Library. http://content.penturners.org/library/man/suppliers_kit_instructions.pdf

Check out the Library - Much to learn and assist.
gordon

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Thank you.
You might want to spend more time looking into the source of blanks than kits. In today's world you will have to actually TRY to really get bad kits. Some high priced kits might be marginally better quality than others but in the lower to mid-prices you'll have a really hard time telling the kits from one maker from those of another. They are all pretty darned good quality.

If you are an experienced turner just new to pen turning start with any kit you like. If you are new to turning, Start with low priced kits - PSI "funline" priced. Slimline kits are not as many say the easiest to turn but they do give the best means to practice different turning techniques because you and do so much with the shapes, they let you get a lot of practice using different tools. Also find some cheap blanks - eBay has a couple of sellers that will sell you enough slimline blanks (unmarked and unpaired) to turn 100 pens for very little money. Experiment with finishes. do a lot of those pens. After a while you'll get good enough that the pens will look good enough to give to friends or relatives.

Quality Pen

Yea, I found enough blanks to last a long time I foresee. Someone mentioned on this site some person on ebay selling them for like 30 bucks for 150 and I got that. It's probably just mediocre wood but it will be good practice that I wont stress over ruining!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yea, I found enough blanks to last a long time I foresee. Someone mentioned on this site some person on ebay selling them for like 30 bucks for 150 and I got that. It's probably just mediocre wood but it will be good practice that I wont stress over ruining!
The ones I got like that were decent wood but I had to spend a lot of time paring things so I had kits with both barrels with the same wood.

Cmiles1985

Thank you.
You might want to spend more time looking into the source of blanks than kits. In today's world you will have to actually TRY to really get bad kits. Some high priced kits might be marginally better quality than others but in the lower to mid-prices you'll have a really hard time telling the kits from one maker from those of another. They are all pretty darned good quality.

If you are an experienced turner just new to pen turning start with any kit you like. If you are new to turning, Start with low priced kits - PSI "funline" priced. Slimline kits are not as many say the easiest to turn but they do give the best means to practice different turning techniques because you and do so much with the shapes, they let you get a lot of practice using different tools. Also find some cheap blanks - eBay has a couple of sellers that will sell you enough slimline blanks (unmarked and unpaired) to turn 100 pens for very little money. Experiment with finishes. do a lot of those pens. After a while you'll get good enough that the pens will look good enough to give to friends or relatives.

Like Smitty said, practice one cheapo wood. I bought a box of 154 walnut blanks on eBay for about $20 shipped. If I had only been as wise as I thought I was, I would have bought a few packs of different brass tubes and practiced not only turning those blanks to size and finishing, but also drilling and squaring. This would have saved me quite a few dollars and nice blanks! Of course, joining this forum a bit earlier and reading would have saved me from buying a drill press too. Then I could have put more cash into blanks and kits.

As for the hardware, just keep an eye out for deals. Sometimes Woodturningz runs great specials. I'm too new to have had dealings with a lot of the IAP vendors. Actually, I've only bought from Smitty. His service so far has been wonderful, and prices have been great (especially on pre-prod purchases).

shortz1lla

Best price going on a collet chuck is the PSI version through Amazon. I've had mine for several months with no problems... not sure why you would need one for turning kit pens though.

BSea

Best price going on a collet chuck is the PSI version through Amazon. I've had mine for several months with no problems... not sure why you would need one for turning kit pens though.
I'd hate to have to do a pen without my collet chuck. I drill on the lathe after my blanks are rounded. Then I square the blanks after the tubes are inserted. I use it hold the mandrel for closed ended pens. I use it to hold fittings to file down so I have a slip fit (only sometimes). I think I use mine for every pen I make for something. And if you get into kitless, I think it's a necessity.

You can certainly make a pen without a collet chuck, but it's a better tool for somethings. And if you have the money, better tools make things easier.

I agree with you on the PSI chuck from Amazon. But I also think that a complete set of collets helps you take full advantage of the the chuck. I haven't looked since I bought mine, but I think a set of metric ER32 collets is just over $100 on EBAY.

EDIT: I think this is the set I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-19-PCS-...8?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item416522d9ec (Just under $100)

The vendor has a new name. I had no issues with him. But a couple of my collets don't seat perfectly. Although that may have been from my son stretching them slightly. So I can't say they were bad when I got them. They work, but not as precise as the ones that do seat correctly. I just need to replace them (someday).

Last edited:

Quality Pen

Clark Miles,

I actually bought that same deal off ebay. Seemed like i could make plenty of mistakes without feeling too bad.

But you're right... I have no tubes to actually practice turning these lol.

Which brings me to another thought, is it a better deal to buy pen parts separately and put them together that way? Like maybe I could save some money on a big ol' piece of brass tube that I cut myself (no problem).

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Clark Miles,

I actually bought that same deal off ebay. Seemed like i could make plenty of mistakes without feeling too bad.

But you're right... I have no tubes to actually practice turning these lol.

Which brings me to another thought, is it a better deal to buy pen parts separately and put them together that way? Like maybe I could save some money on a big ol' piece of brass tube that I cut myself (no problem).
The short answer is NO. Now that can change if you are buying huge quantities (like 500 or so of one style) or if you are doing work where there are parts of the kit that you are throwing away. In general, retailers will sell you the kits cheaper than selling individual parts just like a car is cheaper than if you buy all the parts and assemble it yourself.

kovalcik

Just an opinion, but I think you are over thinking things a little. You can get 10 slimline kits from woodturningz or PSI for about $20 plus shipping. Throw in some spare tubes if you want, they are pretty cheap. If you want, you could also buy a few of whatever Sierra style pen PSI or Woodturningz sells (I never remember the names. Might be Mesa, or Gatsby). Have a go at those and see where you are. If the first one comes out perfect congratulatons, put an order in for the better kits (show us that perfect pen and we will give you the secret insider info on where to buy the ULTIMATE pen kits :wink: ). If not, keep practicing on the other nine. You can always turn the wood off and reuse the tubes if things go really bad. The important thing is to jump in and get moving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom