Have question about Trimline vs Slimline kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I bought a handful of PSI Trimline kits at a woodworking show about two years ago. I have turned many 7mm "slim" kits from Woodcraft, Rockler and Woodturngz before and all were basically the same so I thought nothing would be any different about these kits either. Tonight I wanted to turn a quick pen so I pulled one of the kits out and noticed that one of the tubes was shorter than the other then upon closer inspection I noticed that the shorter tube was actually damaged on the end as if it had been cut off somehow. Anyway, no problem as I have many extra 7mm tubes laying around so I picked through my extra tubes but soon realized that the PSI kit tubes are longer than any other kit manufacture tubes. PSI tubes are 2-3/16" and all others are just 2-1/16" so the only extra 7mm tubes I have are 1/8" shorter than needed. I'm hoping that I will have that much extra room on the top side to use a shorter tube on that end. Does anyone know if the PSI Trimline kits have an extra 1/8' room to spare on the top end?
Photo on right is replacement tube. You can see the length difference.

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3889.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 149

Brian G

My PSI Trimline tubes are 2-1/16" for both barrels. :confused:

I think something is amiss with the tubes in the kit you have.

To your question, though, you have more than plenty space for the upper with a 2-1/16" tube.

Here is a photo of a PSI Trimline with a 2-1/16" naked barrel next to it

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trimline.jpg
    Trimline.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 692

Brian G

I looked at the instructions for PSI Trimline pencils, and the instructions show tube length for the pencil is 2" for both barrels.

For PSI Trimline pens, the instructions show tube length of 2-3/32" for both barrels.

Doesn't matter, though. You can use a 2-1/16" tube for the lower, and not push the transmission in as far. You'll still have plenty of room in the upper barrel.

Top Bottom