Have any of you tried Artisan Nickel Chameleon Pen Tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

This is an unreviewed product from CSI. I am wondering if any of my friends on the forum have tried them, and would let me know how they work on acrylics where the brass tube might show through.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigNick73

I've used nickle plated tubes before. I like em for certain stuff, somewhat translucent with lots of pearl I think it makes it sparkle a little more, could just be me. I do like not having to paint the tubes too. I know beartoothwoods carries them in black nickel and white as well for certain kits.

The Penguin

you can still see through the blank to the tubes.

You have to make sure you get COMPLETE glue coverage, or you'll see the spots through the blank (some are more transparent than others) were you missed with glue.

Warren White

I generally use 5 minute epoxy....

....it seems like this may not be quite what they are touted to be.

I have had good success with spray painting white primer in the blank. I was just looking for something faster that would work as well.

CREID

I have seen black and white tubes at Woodcraft and nickel at some place but don't remember where.

Curt

TonyL

I was hoping someone asked the question.

I don't like to say I "hate" anything, but I "don't like" painting the inside of the barrels or painting the tubes. I figured out a way to eliminate wet sanding (which was first on my list of things I don't like), but not around painting the barrels and the tubes. What I "don't like" the most is beautifully finishing a barrel, and then seeing even the slightest bit of tube shining through and/or glue lines/bubbles. Some don't mind it, some say it the metal complements the barrel....I don't like to produce anything like that. So it was actually my dislike for seeing tubes and glue that helped me over come my dislike for painting barrels and tubes. At least, I found a positive way to channel my "hate" :).

It was one of our esteemed suppliers that taught me that lesson!

Last edited:

CREID

I was hoping someone asked the question.

I don't like to say I "hate" anything, but I "don't like" painting the inside of the barrels or painting the tubes. I figured out a way to eliminate wet sanding (which was first on my list of things I don't like), but not around painting the barrels and the tubes. What I "don't like" the most is beautifully finishing a barrel, and then seeing even the slightest bit of tube shining through and/or glue lines/bubbles. Some don't mind it, some say it the metal complements the barrel....I don't like to produce anything like that. So it was actually my dislike for seeing tubes and glue that helped me over come my dislike for painting barrels and tubes. At least, I found a positive way to channel my "hate" :).

It was one of our esteemed suppliers that taught me that lesson!

You don't like wet sanding? Wet sanding always makes me feel like a kid again, playing in the water was so much fun.:)

Curt

TonyL

Funny! I don't like any sanding, especially wet. I do like buffing, and the time I save, and finish I achieve, but don't miss wet sanding. Nor am I a beach-person, maybe that is why?

CREID

I don't care too much for dry sanding, but now, wet sanding is cool. For some reason I feel weird now.:biggrin:

Curt

MTViper

I never cared for wet sanding either. Then one day I was out of sanding water and decided to just go ahead and finish the pen dry. That was the end of my wet sanding. I got an equal finish with less mess. I turn under a 500W halogen work light so any scratch shows up. No difference in finish quality and less mess .... hmmmmm, I may be slow but I'm not stupid.

TonyL

I have used MM dry (now I don't use it at all). I called Mirka and they said I can use it dry, but at slower speeds and at the expense of wearing out the pads faster.

I still go through 320 to 2,000 grit dry, then off to the buffers.

Top Bottom