Have another question #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dale

I promise to not overwhelm you all with so many questions.
But what is Pink Ivory like to turn?
My Grand Daughters favorite color is Pink. So I purchased a couple of Pink Ivory pen blanks.
On for the pen the other just in case I screw up the first.
It will be a slimline pen since she is only 13 she probably wont want a fatter pen

And I guess question #3. Can you all tell me about the non-wood blanks you are using. I see some making their own with different pattens. (Plastic?) or something like that.

Remember I am just a beginner in pen making so this may be some stupid questons.
And where do you get the materials inorder to make this type of pens and is it very hard to do for a beginner?

I quite with number 3 for now.
thanks
dale

arjudy

Pink ivory is not exceptionally hard to turn. Just take usual precautions with any material: don't drill too fast, use sharp tools on the lathe and you should be fine. As far as the plastics go. They are pretty easy to turn but are different than wood. If you want to get into them try some cheap stuff first. They require their own finishing materials. Most use some combination of abrasive paper, micromesh (MM) and a plastic polish of some sort. Drilling plastic can sometimes be a challenge depending on the material. As far as the materials go, there are acrylics, polyester resins, lucite, alumilite, acrylester and others.
Some other non-wood materials are: antler, horn, corncobs, metal, bakelite, ebonite and many other. To obtain these materials look here on the forum. Several members here sell these types of blanks and it is always good to support the members here. Try looking in the most valued vendors section and also in the individual and business classifieds.
And remember this, the only silly question is the one not asked.

As far as your granddaughter's pen is concerned I suggest using a Euro kit or one of the Sierra clicks. I'm sure she will love it because her grandpa is making it for her.

Chris Bar

I love to turn pink ivory; it cuts like butter with sharp tools. If you get a really pink piece, not brownish, it will look rather translucent...really beautiful stuff. Here is the last one turned before finishing, and likewise this one was a slimline, a must in pink. A real shame the allowable resolution is so low for this forum....the high res pic shows the texture.

Attachments

• pink ivory.JPG
    pink ivory.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 93
Top Bottom