Has anyone used this new pen blank chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mac

I don't like one job wonders,if I can buy something that has several uses. I rather have my bar.2 with all the jaws. Kinda pricey also and tommy bars to boot. I don't think so. Not for me anyway.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
looks interesting. now if they made with M#1.

The model shown is a "screw on". Morse taper size is not applicable.

Actually, it looks unclear why they have so MUCH of the blank sticking out. Seems like it would be better if it fit "into" the chuck, so you could roughly center the blank.

Last edited:

PJT

The main question there is why? if you have a 4 jaw chuck that is used for other things why spend the money for a single use tool...to me it would be more cost that is not really needed
Pete

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A four jaw chuck only works well if your blank is dead square. I THINK they are trying to grab opposite corners to keep the blank being drilled in the middle, even if the blank does not have four equal sides.

Just my thoughts, I've used the scroll chuck on non-square blanks, it isn't pretty!!

randyrls

A four jaw chuck only works well if your blank is dead square. I THINK they are trying to grab opposite corners to keep the blank being drilled in the middle, even if the blank does not have four equal sides.

Don't think that PSI chuck would work on round blanks either. Not enough "grab".

leestoresund

I couldn't see getting this as I don't think it is any better than the regular 4 jaw chuck.

Didn't like that too much.

For now I've started turning all the blanks round and will deal with that for a while to see where my skills go.

Lee

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lee hit the ideal answer, if you have time.

Turn between centers until it's round, then put in any scroll chuck or a collet chuck. This will keep you dead center, every time.

Russianwolf

totally agreed about the turning round first.

I don't know that I would trust this chuck though, as with only 2 jaws it could easily break off the corners and the blank go flying. Just a little vibration and loosening would do it too (I've had that experience with my 4 jaw chuck).

Kaspar

A four jaw chuck only works well if your blank is dead square.

Indeed. I have to square up my blanks with a saw, and then for extra perfection run them through a thickness sander. I am glad to do this, if I need a blank drilled perfectly down the middle. Takes no more time than it does to turn the blank round, and if I'm drilling a big hole, I don't have to worry about collet pressure crushing it. There is still enough meat left on the blank to keep it stable.

As Ed said, this thing would be useful for any blank that had two clean opposite corners, if your corners don't break under the pressure. Sometimes I don't think people appreciate just how violent an act drilling and turning is.

It is wrong to say, as the ad does, that it drills dead center unless the blank is perfectly square. Also, those opposite corners have to be close to 90 degrees or it could shift a little. And the long sides will need to be straight. You're still going to have to clean up even a slightly warped wood blank. On those tommy bar scroll chucks, any wiggling of the blank will loosen the jaws as you go along. You'll need to square up the face that the bit enters. Use a center bit to to start the hole at the very least. It will not do round stock (not enough grab, as was mentioned) and is also, as was mentioned, a one job tool. So is a barrel trimmer, but they don't cost $70, and with PSI's crappy shipping speed on top of that.

If someone's in a hurry and isn't concerned with precision, this thing would probably work fairly well. But you will still have to have the blank sides within certain tolerances.

Last edited:

PenMan1

For $70 this "thing" should bring coffee, fetch slippers, change the tv channels, make dinner as well as hold blanks. $70 is half the price of a decent chuck that will do many things. Nope, not for me. I might consider one for....say $20?

I use this little cgm3 with these jaws... does same thing... plus I have two or three other sets of jaws so the chuck is useful for more than a dedicated drilling chuck..

Attachments

• pm 001.JPG
    pm 001.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 113
  • pm 002.JPG
    pm 002.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 132
Top Bottom