Has anyone use Kirinite for pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JF36

I found this material called Kirinite on a knife making website.KIRINITE - Handle Material & Hardware It looks very similar to some of the PR blanks pen turning vendors offer. The manufacture claims that it is as strong as corian. The thickest they sell it in is 3/8, so you would have to glue two pieces together to get a 3/4 thick pen blank. Has anyone ever used this material?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

I found some info from knife makers while poking around the web. Don't overheat it (buffing seems to be a common cause of that…seems like sanding on a lathe could as well…I'd use Abranet instead of traditional sandpaper to help keep the heat down and it works better anyway).

I found a forum posting on another site that describes the material better than other sites I've seen (this appears to be from the owner of the site you found the material on)…here's a link (please post your results as I'm sure others will be interested..3/8" is thick enough for some interesting segmenting work and maybe the vendor can get thicker pieces if you ask):

Big price reduction on Kirinite up to 49% lower

JF36

I found some info from knife makers while poking around the web. Don't overheat it (buffing seems to be a common cause of that…seems like sanding on a lathe could as well…I'd use Abranet instead of traditional sandpaper to help keep the heat down and it works better anyway).

I found a forum posting on another site that describes the material better than other sites I've seen (this appears to be from the owner of the site you found the material on)…here's a link (please post your results as I'm sure others will be interested..3/8" is thick enough for some interesting segmenting work and maybe the vendor can get thicker pieces if you ask):

Big price reduction on Kirinite up to 49% lower

Thank you for the information. It will be awhile before I can try to make a pen out of it, as I am getting ready to move houses. Once I am set up again I will give it a shot and share the results.

dtswebb

According to the manufacturer of Kirinite (Eagle Grips), they will be coming out with thicker versions of Kirinite soon. Raj Singh (the President of Eagle Grips) was interested in my inquiry about Kirinite and said that he would email me as soon as the larger sheets are available.

eharri446

Does anyone know what type of glue is needed to combine these blanks together. I just order 5 sets of knife blanks and will need to glue them together to make a 3/4 inch blank.

TonyL

Love it. I turn it and finish it the same way as AA. I like it better than AA.

KenV

Have gotten rods of some of those patterns. Worked for bottle stoppers and for pen stands.

Turns like a polyester resin as that is what it is advertised.

mikeschn

I've made a few Kirinite pens... Kirinite turns wonderful, and finishes pretty nice too.

The biggest problem I see is that Kirinite was designed for knife handles. If you do a pearl Kirinite pen for example, you'll see the pearl pattern on the top and on the bottom, but not spread through the pen evenly.

I'd really like it if the Kirinite makes would spread the pearl throughout the blanks, like Acrylester blanks for example...

Mike...

qquake

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 183