Has anyone turned the new Canadian flag blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katya

I'm making 3 Triton pens with the Canadian flag blank from PSI. I'm only using the flag portion for the cap of the pens (Canadian cherry burl for the bodies).

I've drilled the flag blanks and painted the cap tubes silver..not very well<g>. But my guess is that the blank is pretty opaque-- tell me folks, have you made a pen from one of these blanks, and do I need to bother carefully painting the tubes?? Got any pics of a completed flag pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

Hello

I have made one and I would reverse paint the blank and the tube white.
The one I made had signs of glue showing because I only used a white tube.
Good Luck!

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm making 3 Triton pens with the Canadian flag blank from PSI. I'm only using the flag portion for the cap of the pens (Canadian cherry burl for the bodies).

I've drilled the flag blanks and painted the cap tubes silver..not very well<g>. But my guess is that the blank is pretty opaque-- tell me folks, have you made a pen from one of these blanks, and do I need to bother carefully painting the tubes?? Got any pics of a completed flag pen?
Painting never hurts anything, not painting might! I would err on the side of caution.

I recall someone showing 3 pens done in that blank not very long ago. Who who?

Last edited:

magpens

I don't like the PSI Canadian Flag blank - they should have made the red side banks longer, IMO.

One customer review says the same.

Another customer review says that the blank is hard to turn and very prone to chipping.

Yes, reverse painting the hole white is advisable ... you mentioned silver on the tube ... might work, but I find that painting the hole is more effective.

Last edited:

Katya

Yep, I already do all these steps with acrylic blanks that look translucent.. was kinda hoping that these blanks wouldn't need that much work<g>.
But since it sounds like they do, I'll use all the steps with them. Thanks all!

magpens

What do you use to tint epoxy ? Does acrylic paint from Michaels/HobbyLobby work for you ? I tried that and it really slows down the curing of the epoxy and leaves the epoxy very flexible ... for me.

Use epoxy and tint the epoxy when gluing in the tube.

Top Bottom