Has anyone turned this kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Sharon:
I have made them.

I buy 'em from AS, but it's the same product. I haven't had any problems with them (other than they didn't sell well-I bought the "A" centerbands, might have been better sellers with the "B" band).

Personally, I like them. I just wish they were better sellers.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Ditto what Andy said. They are great pens but don't sell well for me either, but I like the looks. The pencil mechanism is by Schmidt and so far has worked great and it's interchangeable with the Parker style refill.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am thingking of turning this kit, and need to know if anyone has turned the pencil. I've had problems with pencil mechanisms in the past. Any problems with this one?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=55005&cat=1,330,43243,53758
Hi Sharon; I have turned many many Perfect Fit kits which is essentially what this is! The pencil is the same as the pen, accepting a Schmidt pencil mech. It requires a tenon to be turned to accept the centre band. Off the track here, it is my carry pen!

I purchase that kit from www.penblanks.ca http://www.penblanks.ca/home.php?cat=74 because they carry it in Ti. Gold which is the plating I prefer over the 10K Gold.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Are you all using the "B" mandrel? or have you found a source for normal 7mm mandrel bushings?

Please PM me if you can get bushings to fit the normal mandrel!!

G1Pens

I recently did a pen and pencil set of this pen. You will need the "B" Mandrel as I am not aware of any 7mm bushings for this pen/pencil. The pencil mechanism is a Schmidt and it works great. My only conplaint is no eraser for the pencil.

Padre

I really have to say that the thin pencils with that huge center band, to me, are not attractive at all.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I really have to say that the thin pencils with that huge center band, to me, are not attractive at all.
Hello Chip; Here's a pic of a turned Perfect Fit pen to give you a perspective of the measurements of the completed pen.
attachment.php

I'm not able to put the measurements on the pic directly, but hopefully this will help you see it is not a thin pen or an overly large one!

Where the nib meets the wood .3675", where the wood enters the CB .4740", the CB itself .5460", at the clip .5005".

Attachments

• 291 (Small).jpg
    291 (Small).jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 182

Padre

Mack,
That's a good looker! I was talking about the really thin ones. But that's a good looking pen/pencil.

JerrySambrook

Those are extremely nice, well thought out kits.
I have been making a set or two every year since 1998.
The longetivity of an unchanged kit like that says a lot about it as far as I am concerned.

And since Johnny does not carry bushings for these, I made my own from some scrap 303 and 304 stainless from work.

Maybe, just maybe when I get on the metal lathe again (too much work at work right now, and I owe a couple of people some stuff from the metal lathe already) I will try to make a couple of more sets.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Those are extremely nice, well thought out kits.
I have been making a set or two every year since 1998.
The longetivity of an unchanged kit like that says a lot about it as far as I am concerned.

And since Johnny does not carry bushings for these.
Hi Jerry; As soon I read this, I had to go and look at my bushings for the Perfect Fit. I have 2 sets (14B) made by John. I don't recall how or when, all I know is I have them!

Top Bottom