Has anyone tried solid coffee and CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I really coarse ground coffee would look interesting. But, if I read you properly, what you are asking about is whole-bean. The problem will be that there are NO kits where the blank ends up being thick enough to hold a whole coffee bean. You would have to manually sand down each bean so that it is thin enough to fit under the acrylic. It would look really really cool done. But would be a bear to do.

GK

underdog

Coarse ground coffee in an acrylic is indeed what I was thinking.

Maybe even finely ground coffee.

I've done inlays before, but I've not seen the whole pen done in coffee...

I'd love to see someone with a pot do it...

joseph10s

I haven't done coffee beans but I did experiment with grains of barley, raw(white-ish) and cooked(brown), that I picked up at the Guinness Factory in Ireland. This was completely an experiment. I did this before I had casting equipment so I actually CAed each grain on the brass tube. The result was not very good for a couple reasons. 1) there are a ton of air pockets and 2) after turning, the uncooked grains that were cut in half had a very soft center which caused cracking in the CA finish and the grains that were cooked absorbed most of the CA finish and caused an uneven surface(I'm guessing this is how coffee might behave). I may try it again with my pressure pot and some PR to see if the PR will "stabilize" the grains. Anyways, here is a picture.

2007913135255_IMGP11690c.jpg

I painted the entire tube black but should have done the upper half in white or another light color to provide contrast with the brown grains.

underdog

Perhaps one could apply CA to the tube and roll it in the coffee grounds until it was well covered, then soak in CA just to keep it all together, then cast in resin or something.

I sure hope someone does this...

GoodTurns

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007
<br />Makes me wish I had a pressure pot! (But BOY, have I blown my tool budget lately!)

paraphrasing the classic Blazing Saddles..."Budgets, we don't need no stinkin' budgets!"

I am not a coffee drinker or resin pourer, but...I would think a band of solid beans could be glued around a tube, then cast in clear. Plenty of our pens get "artistic" bands, you would just have to position where you wanted the "bump", no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom