Has anyone tried...(2)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Scott

...Flexcoat on their pens? What's Flexcoat? If you fish then you have seen it on your fishing rod, but probably didn't know what it was called. Flexcoat is a two-part epoxy that coats and seals the threads or "wraps" on feet of the eyes or "guides" on the rod. I have re-wrapped a few rods (in the past few years) out of necessity and I have wondered if anyone has finished a pen with it.

It can take several hours to cure (not for the impatient ;)), it is clear, flexible and VERY durable. It has a high build properties, but there is "lite" formula available too.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it. I plan to give it a go and see what happens just don't know when. ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

I think I know where you are going with this.
How is it different than any 2 part epoxy?Franky I don't think the thick CA finish on my string pens is expensive to use and it's quick,but I am always looking for alternatives.

Fred in NC

Talking about other finishes, I have experimented with "Krylon Gloss Coat" which is a thick acrylic finish in a spray can. 3 coats of this will encapsulate the wood completely. I bought the Krylon at Walmart.

The people that have seen a rosewood pen made with this material made very positive comments. The pen sold at the last show.

The downside is that the coating has to be done off-lathe. I put the barrels on chopsticks. It takes a couple hours for a coat to dry. After the 3 coats the barrels were put back in the mandrel, and I sanded the finish flat. I think I started at 1200 or so. This was done to level the acrylic. It polished to an extremely high gloss, just like CA or any of the plastic materials.

Again, I am mentioning this ONLY as an experiment that I did. It is for your information only. I am not endorsing the product or the result of my experiment.

jwoodwright

Growing up in New Jersey, Salt Water Fishing was the Norm. When Dad refinished the rods and guides, He used a special Varnish. I've rewrapped too many guides. Haven't found that varnish. Probally gone for good like Dad.[:(]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'd bet he used a spar urethane. A quick Google search will yield a lot of results, John.
Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Growing up in New Jersey, Salt Water Fishing was the Norm. When Dad refinished the rods and guides, He used a special Varnish. I've rewrapped too many guides. Haven't found that varnish. Probally gone for good like Dad.[:(]

C. Scott

Thanks for the responses. I honestly was wondering if anyone had tried flexcoat (there are other brands, some already pre-catalyzed). I hate to go down a dead end when I can learn from those who are older, more experienced and wiser. I figured if the stuff holds up on my surf rods, it ought to hold up on a pen. My concern is the drying/curing process. When you wrap and finish a rod it has to be rotated (slowly) until the finish cures. Depending on the temp. this can be a couple of hours.

I am going to look in my rod building supplies and see if I have any left. Hopefully enough to finish one pen. If so I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Thanks again for the responses.[:)]

wayneis

Chris the down side with most epoxy's is the yellowing but there are a few epoxy's that are formulated as a finish and these are clear. A lot of the pool cue's are finished with epoxy. I bought some from one of the pool cue companies but have not got around to trying it yet. Actually I spent so much time developing my method for Enduro that I really done't want to start over.

As far as what you are talking about I would think that we are talking about products that are at least very similar. I would think that if you put your coats on thin enough it would dry fast enough that you would not have rotate it for long.

Wayne

Tom McMillan

Chris---Sounds like a good idea to me!! I worked a short time for a high end flyrod manufacturer---I watched the owner put on the epoxy over the windings. The only drawback was he had little bubbles that had to be taken out, and he did that with a little burner (I think it was an alcohol burner---which I think are sold by those selling rod building supplies). He did keep the rod rotating until it was dry---and seems he used pretty slow drying epoxy. Let us know how it works out if you try it.

Tom McMillan

Yes, Fred that's why it was a high end business---could only make one a day so he had to charge more--- :)!! Actually,yup, he did have a rotator---I think it had capacity for about 12 to rotate---guess we'll need a small version of one if we try this, huh??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom