Has anyone modified a Virage BP Kit ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I want to try some mods to the Virage ballpoint kit.

Just wondering if anyone has already attempted this and what results you obtained if you don't mind sharing.

Specifically, I want to reduce the brass tube diameter for the reason that the existing diameter of 27/64" does not leave much "meat" on the blank. Consequently you are hard pressed to do any creative turning with your blank.

The existing twist mechanism has an OD of about 7.3 mm
Allowing for a tube wall thickness of 0.15 mm (cutting it pretty fine, I know), one should be able to make the brass tube 7.65 mm or so in diameter. This diameter is actually extremely close to the so-called "8 mm" tube actual OD. . Some tiny adjustment may be necessary.

The blank wall thickness would then be (at its thinnest points, the ends), ( 0.474" - 7.65 mm ) / 2 = ( 0.474" - 0.301" ) / 2 = 0.086".

Compare this to the as-manufactured value of ( 0.474" - 0.406" ) / 2 = 0.034" and you see that you can realize a 0.086" - 0.034" = 0.052" increase in the blank wall thickness. . That is a significant increase.

Of course, the transmission fit inside the brass tube has to be considered, as would the hardware connection pieces that hold the tube to the plated nose cone and top finial.

I think it could be done with some careful machining from scratch of these connection pieces.

The architecture of the Virage nose cone and top finial would comfortably allow these mods. The success would rest with skillful machinist skills in making the required parts. . Brass would probably be the material of choice.

Has anyone attempted these mods ?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Mal,

I was wondering if an 8mm tube would slide over the transmission, but it might be a bit too small based on your measurement of 7.3mm. Thought it might be easier to get the smallest tube that fits over the transmission rather than making your own tube.

Top Bottom