Has anyone made a pen from this wood ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvsank

I was wondering has anyone made a pen from a Magnolia tree a huge limb fell from a storm a few days ago at a local school and before they remove it was wondering if pens can be made from it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Checked

I have a couple of boards of Magnolia, but haven't turned a pen with it yet.
Mine seems to have very little character, and actually resembles some holly I have.

Thumbs

I think the people at this forum have proven quite conclusively that you can make a pen out of darn near anything! Especially if it has any sentimental or any other "special" value![;)]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Someone gave me a huge magnolia piece of crotch wood to turn into a bowl...(haven't made it yet - still drying) but as someone pointed out, has very little character...but perhaps used with another wood to help enhance it would be nice. From what I am told its suppose to be a nice wood to turn.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Isn't magnolia extremly soft? I don't know, just asking. If it is, you might want to consider stabilization before turning.

I thought Magnolia was made from steel! [:D]

Oh! Sorry, I am thinking of that movie! [:D]

ldimick

Originally posted by jvsank
<br />wasn't quick enough was already gone when I went back[:(!]

I'm sure that some time in the next 12 hours you'll see a post with a picture of someone with a 7' long chainsaw and a gorgeous piece of Magnolia saying, "Look what I found!"[:p][:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom