Has anyone made a pen with Ipe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I've made 10 or 15 out of straight grain and some curly that Steve Switzer gifted me. In fact my every day carry fountain is a baron in Ipe, it's no worse to turn than Osage orange or Lignum Vitae

MarkD

I have. It turned ok but the grain isn't very interesting to look at. I believe someone recently posted a picture of a pen they did in IPE on this site but I'm not able to find it now.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Here's mine. Ipe with Parallam segment. Leftovers from a friends deck install.

Attachments

• _MG_7375.jpg
    _MG_7375.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 270

bitshird

I tried to take a pic with my new phone, but the light sucks, the old bugger is finished in CA and I don't know which is harder, the wood or the finish. But nearly all the plating is worn off.

Rangertrek

I did a couple for a flooring contractor to give to his customer. Made from the flooring in a house. Not much to look at, dark plain grain. Heavy, dense wood, the dust can cause skin and respiratory issues.

JAZNCARR

its great

The saw dust is yellow and can irritate the sinuses.... I have about 30 board feet of reclaimed bellawood epe flooring.... 35 bft of brazilian cherry so if anybody wants to try a piece or 3 shoot me a pm

toddlajoie

Pens6216.jpg

Here are a couple I did with Ipe. I've got a bunch of blanks that I cut from leftovers from a deck I made out of it, so they came from a 3/4 x 6 inch board that I cut at a 15 deg. angle. it's rather dense and hard, and if you're tools aren't sharp it will pull and tear, or just blow out if you're too aggressive. The stuff I have, being decking, is very plain, straight grained. No figuring at all, but it does have a nice rich red-brown color with some green streaks or speckles... It can be oily, so you need to plan for that if you're going to do a CA finish (start with some acetone...) but it would also do fine with no finish...

Top Bottom