Has anyone ever seen this lathe before?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotirish

Yes! I have one.:D:D:D They work well for pens and bottle tops. Some small turnings. They are severely limited in their speed and ability to turn HARD wood's.:(:(:( I replaced mine with a RIKON and very happy to have done so. :D:D:D Kept the small one for playing around while the bigger one is tied up. [xx(][xx(][xx(]

heineda

Jared,

Yes, it is the first lathe I bought for my son. Thank Jah I had the good sense to leave it in the box, return it, and buy a mid size lathe. You can find this same lathe on ebay under Jet, Craftsman and Rand. They are all junk. If you need a small/midi lathe, send me a private email. My father had a Shop Fox EVS mini lathe that he used for small bowls, short spindles, tops, etc. It's sitting on the floor in my garage now, since my father has passed.

Dan
daniel.heine@comcast.net

stevers

Thats too much money for it also. I bought mine new from woodcraft before they discontinued them. I got it for half price, I believe it was $75.00, give or take. They can be had used for much less then that.

redfishsc

I strongly considered this lathe a few years ago, but I asked the same question here on this forum and a pile of people warned me about it's limitations. Probably a reliable machine, just limited.

I also believe it's a MT1 machine, not a MT2, which is a PAIN to tool up.

I bought a Delta Midi instead, used, with all sorts of tools, blanks, and other goodies for a reasonable price. I mostly like the Delta but would buy the Rikon instead, or perhaps the new Grizz 3/4hp 12" vs lathe.

Randy_

I had one for a short while; but moved to a JET mini after only a few months. Calling the pen lathe "junk" is a little harsh. It is definite limited in its capabilities.....pens and bottle stoppers is about it.....but, of course, that is all it was designed to do. if you need a truly portable lathe....like for use in an RV or motor home, you can't beat it. it weighs 12 pounds and will fit inside a normal sized brief case.

Definitely not the best lathe for most pencrafters; but if you have a special need, it just might be the answer.

rlharding

I have one. I paid $60 for it and it's perfect for pens and stoppers. The tool rest is useable but not very good quality. The one problem I have had is trying to buy a new mandrel to fit the very small headstock. Every lathe has its limitations.

Randy_

Originally posted by rlharding

I have one. I paid $60 for it and it's perfect for pens and stoppers. The tool rest is useable but not very good quality. The one problem I have had is trying to buy a new mandrel to fit the very small headstock. Every lathe has its limitations.

Ruth: The JET Pen Lathe spindle has a 3/4" x 16 thread on the nose so you can use the screw-on mandrel that is sold by PSI. If you want to do some of the "big" pen kits from Berea that require a "B" mandrel, buy them from Woodcraft. Woodcraft makes their own bushings and "ALL" of them will fit on a 7mm mandrel.

Top Bottom