Has anyone ever mistakenly used the wrong bushings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

So has anyone mistakenly used the wrong bushings even when you have them labeled.

I just did, i used comfort bushings for a Designer Kit... Now the Cap end is too large (easy fix) and the nib end is too small (ho do i fix this build it up with CA?)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

I will go try that, but it appeared to me that the tip bushing was the same size as the 7MM bushings i used for spacers

Edit: THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! Perfect Fit!!

Last edited:

toddlajoie

Nod.gif
Nope,
Nod.gif
never
Nod.gif
done
Nod.gif
that...
Nod.gif

Rifleman1776

Can honestly say I never have.
But, misteaks happen. Accept it, trash the stuff and start over.
BTW, I keep all kits, bushings, etc. in labeled drawers for each style kit. Near impossible to mix up.

One solution is to stop using bushings. When you start using a micrometer for the measurements, bushings are just spacers on the mandrel or better yet, turn between centers. I dropped my organizer box a while back and all the bushing were in a pile, that was my ephiphany.

DurocShark

Worst one... Using a Majestic Jr bushing for a Jr Gent. Took me forever to figure out why the post end was oversized...

Transam

No. Never done that ! :rolleyes:
Never used the wrong size drill bit either for the kit I was using ! :redface:

too small ? not a chance ! Too BIG. D'oh
was the only blank I had in that material as well and it was an order for a customer.... oh Well, back to the suppliers !

Daniel

Yeah I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. Anyway the CA build up thing will work, just takes some time and pray that each coat does not cloud or bubble. take your time thicker CA is more likely to overheat as it sets and coats adhere to each other just fine so use as many as you need to get a clear build up. As for keeping bushings att he right end of everything. I have simply gotten in the habit of comparing my bushings to the pen parts every time now. that miss shaped pen stuff has happened to me far more than once.

randyrls

One solution is to stop using bushings. When you start using a micrometer for the measurements,

I will second that statement. On more than one occasion I found the bushings were off by .018" If the bushing is too large you just need to remove more material, but if too small you can't fix it without a lot of work.

Ryan; I ALWAYS, ALWAYS check the actual size of the fittings with a cheap electronic caliper. I have several of them gotten from Harbor Freight on special sale. About $10 each.

PenMan1

The first time I did this, I just smiled and tried to figure our a way to fix it. The second time I did it and couldn't fix it, I got real mad. The third time I did it, I got some finishing bushings that "fit all" and 4 sets of digital calipers.

Now when I make kit pens, I have 1 caliper for the fenial, one for the center band and either 1 -2 calipers (depending on the design, for Baron,Etc I use 2) for the lower half. I think that getting away from relying on bushings and actually measuring the "fit joints" has made my work better.

Now, the only thing I have to worry about is picking up the correct caliper. So now each one has a little piece of tape, marked "fenial", "nib", etc.

Top Bottom