Has anyone been to

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Man

ANYTHING is worth driving 900 miles AWAY from Lincoln, Neb. [;)][:)]
[/quote]

Don't get me going on about Arkansas, Is it true what Arkansas people do around halloween

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Pen Man
<br />ANYTHING is worth driving 900 miles AWAY from Lincoln, Neb. [;)][:)]

Don't get me going on about Arkansas, Is it true what Arkansas people do around halloween

[/quote]

Probably. Uh...what is it that they say we do?
Actually, I logged back on to post an apology. Have been snowed in for two days, very unusual for us here, and am getting punchy from boredom. I might just say anything.
Have been to Lincoln a number of times, my cousins used to live there. First time I arrived by train sitting on Thomas Dewey's lap. True. Long story but true. Antother time, 1959, I drove in from my home near Chicago in an incredible snowstorm. Was driving an old, really old, Nash Rambler American. Got 125 miles to the quart of oil, top speed 55, downhill. Swear there wasn't another vehicle on the roads all the way. Only the very young and very foolish could have survived that. At the time I was both. Lincoln is a nice town, it's the surrounding state that leaves a lot (everything? [:p] ) to be desired. Oh, well. If the sun comes out, we can start being nice to each other again. [:D]

Pen Man

Probably. Uh...what is it that they say we do?
Actually, I logged back on to post an apology. Have been snowed in for two days, very unusual for us here, and am getting punchy from boredom. I might just say anything.
Have been to Lincoln a number of times, my cousins used to live there. First time I arrived by train sitting on Thomas Dewey's lap. True. Long story but true. Antother time, 1959, I drove in from my home near Chicago in an incredible snowstorm. Was driving an old, really old, Nash Rambler American. Got 125 miles to the quart of oil, top speed 55, downhill. Swear there wasn't another vehicle on the roads all the way. Only the very young and very foolish could have survived that. At the time I was both. Lincoln is a nice town, it's the surrounding state that leaves a lot (everything? [:p] ) to be desired. Oh, well. If the sun comes out, we can start being nice to each other again. [:D]
[/quote]

Ya Lincoln is boreing[8D] been hear 40 year. We where going to leave Thursday Morning last week in our motor home to go out to UT, but we had ice.[:(] Now I am think is it worth the drive or just spend the $600.00 that we would of spent for fuel now on PEN KITS[:D][:D]

Jim Boyd

Lincoln is a long boring drive from Craft Supplies[:D] When I was there the showroom wasn't like your normal woodworking store. One smallish room with finished displays of thier products. You see more in the catalog. I did not get to go in the lathe rooms the 2 times I've been there. Nice view of the mountains though[:D] 2002 was the last time I was there.

BigL

I go fairly often (I have an office in the Provo area). I'm not sure why you would want to go there except the people are friendly and helpful. The display area is rather small - you'll see far more in the catalog. The view is beautiful in the surrounding area. My guess you could get the same friendly help on the telephone. If you wish, I could take a picture for you and save you the trip. Lane

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Pen Man
<br />visit Craft supply store in Ut, in person? Is it worth the drive from Lincoln, Nebraska about 900 miles?? AND NO I DID NOT WIN THE 365 MIlLION

They told me I am not welcome there...
Nils says I am already to much of a PIA on the phone..[:(][:(][:(][:(]
[:p][:p][:p][:p]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
It is worth the trip if you wait until June and attend the woodturning symposium and the Penturners Rendezvous the day before.

There is also a super sale of stuff at Craft Supplies the day before the symposium, and that too is worth the drive. Real bargains, but you gotta be quick because there are 450 other people after the same things.

Other than that, I can't see that Provo, UT is any different from staying in Lincoln, NB.

mick

[/quote]

I drove in from my home near Chicago in an incredible snowstorm. Was driving an old, really old, Nash Rambler American. Got 125 miles to the quart of oil, top speed 55, downhill.
[/quote]

Frank you used to drive a rambler American?....and you're still here to tell about it?

Seriously I learned to drive on an old Rambler stationwagon...with push button transmission!!!! [^]

Ryan

I go to CSUSA almost everytime I do an order from them. I only live 20 minutes away from them. If your vacation is to visit Craft Supply. I think you will be disapointed. Unless you do as Russ suggested. Come June 14th for the week.

If you are planing a trip to do some skiing in the Beautiful snow covered state of UT already. By all means stop by! You can meet the staff which you already know are friendly and helpful.

Ryan

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by mick
<br />

I drove in from my home near Chicago in an incredible snowstorm. Was driving an old, really old, Nash Rambler American. Got 125 miles to the quart of oil, top speed 55, downhill.
[/quote]

Frank you used to drive a rambler American?....and you're still here to tell about it?

Seriously I learned to drive on an old Rambler stationwagon...with push button transmission!!!! [^]
[/quote]

We are getting way OT, but yes, and I did, somehow, survive. The lights went out on me at night in the Oregon mountains. Wall of rock on one side, nothing for hundreds of feet down on the other. That was a thrill.

nilsatcraft

It's already been said but our showroom isn't that huge and we don't have everything on display. We'd love to see you and anyone who wants to can tour our facility. Just ask one of the guys downstairs and they'll show you around.
Tom- we charge admission for you: one Old Griz pen for Nils and you're in. Last year you had that show in DC but this year I'm planning on meeting you! Right? Hint hint.[;)]

Ravenbsp

I agree with everyone else. My wife's family os from UT so I stopped by. Very friendly people, but if you are interested in buying kits you'll just point to what you want in their catalog anyway. They let me poke around some of their wood and the like, definitely worht a 20 minute drive. Oh yes, free shipping if you show up in person, but you do have to pay state sales tax[;)]

Kerry

I live about 10 miles from the Craft Supplies USA store. I have visited many times over the past several years ... for demos, open houses, even a turning class. Imagine my initial surprise when I realized that one of the premier woodturning establishments was right in my backyard!

Things get rearranged gradually over time, but HERE (http://www.bbburma.net/SatellitePics/CraftSuppliesUSA_Annotated.jpg) is a satellite photo of the Craft Supplies "campus" that I have annotated to the best of my knowledge. The showroom is not much bigger than the gray square (Google Earth position indicator) overlaid on the SW corner of the main building. The cash registers and "front office" take up a similar portion of the SE corner. Someone who works there could supply more details about what occupies that bulk of the main building. (Small call center? An order fulfillment stock room with the most-frequently-ordered items? I know there is a conference room upstairs, because that's where the introductions happened when I took that turning class in '03.)

During the Symposium some dramatic changes take place:
  • 1) Most available space in the outlying buildings is employed for demos, many by famous turners.

2) The whole "campus" is full of interested (and interesting) people watching demos, moving between demos, or just milling around talking to each other.

3) The diminutive showroom / front office area is CRAMMED with symposium attendees (or people like me who just drop in for the demos) trying to buy "one of these" or "two of those". The vast majority of CSUSA's business is conducted via phone & web orders, so normal (NON-symposium) foot traffic is comparatively non-existent.

4) The temporary Clearance Sale area opens to a large group of early birds, and the best deals go fast.

5) Parking in the area is quite scarce for a couple days. If I'm not mistaken, CSUSA provides some sort of shuttle service to and from the BYU campus during the symposium.
As someone else mentioned, the show room display only hints at the variety of items that are available. It consists mostly of gouges, chucks, sharpening systems, a few books, a decent selection of kits for pens and similar projects, and a mini lathe or two. In the center is a glass display case (containing some cool-looking stuff) with a stack of printed catalogs and a stack of order forms on top. You fill out a form, hand it to a clerk, and they disappear through a door to fill your order. Meanwhile, you wait ... and engage in pleasant conversation with other attendees of course!

To the west of the main CSUSA building, on the other side of the empty lot, is a new building. It houses TreeLine (http://www.treelineusa.com/) ... another Nish family business which caters to the wood carving/burning/painting crowd. TreeLine started out in a bay of one of the CSUSA "Inventory Storage" buildings. I haven't visited the new building yet, but I'm glad to see that the venture is gathering steam. It makes sense ... after all, woodturning and "wood embellishing" go hand in hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom