Has anyone attempted to craft a pen from a

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arjudy

fishing lure. I had a coworker ask me today if I had ever made a pen from a fishing lure. I have not. Have any of you or have you seen one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

I have wandered the aisles at several of the outdoor stores looking for the right lure but haven't found any that would qualify for anything but the Ugly Pen contest (an award I believe Curtis is going to retire this year :wink:!) I think the best best would be to cast a fly (unintentional, but appreciated pun :biggrin:) lure in resin and turn in a thick bodied pen.... I'll post if I figure one out, please do the same!

YoYoSpin

This may not be what you had in mind...but I think it's pretty cool: DoHickeys

Attachments

• DoHickey_7d.jpg
    DoHickey_7d.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 277
  • DoHickeyt_4b.jpg
    DoHickeyt_4b.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 179

arjudy

That is really cool. I like that a lot. My coworker had a non-fly type lure in mind I think. Her husband is into bass fishing and think she was looking for some kind of crank bait or plug type lure.

sparhawk

I started one about a year ago. Copied a Devils horse lure and had my daughter try to paint it to look like the lure. Lost interest and never finished it.Went with the Devils horse because the shape was close to a slimline.

titan2

I have wandered the aisles at several of the outdoor stores looking for the right lure but haven't found any that would qualify for anything but the Ugly Pen contest (an award I believe Curtis is going to retire this year :wink:!) I think the best best would be to cast a fly (unintentional, but appreciated pun :biggrin:) lure in resin and turn in a thick bodied pen.... I'll post if I figure one out, please do the same!

One way would be to use cork......turn it, drill it and glue in the tube. Now you have something in which to stick the small flys in and arrainge them any way you'd like....leave some with a small piece of nylon lead on and others without. When you have it the way you want.....plug the ends and put it in a casting mold and have at it!!!

Should look sharp!!!

Barney

sparhawk

devil horse

This was the pen my daughter and i started onsome time ago.She was doing the painting and i would make the pen. Only got this far and she lost interest in painting it. It is a slimline with no centerband and has the 2 bushings on either end. The lure itself could be used i believe as you can see thier relative size next to each other. Fairly simple i think and fits the profile of the pen rather well. lure1.jpg

S

spiritwoodturner

Leave it to Ed to come up with something so totally cool and different! I attended his demo at Front Range Woodturners Club a few months ago. He demo'd a Rose Engine Lathe, that was so unlike anything I'd seen before.

Ed, you're one of a kind!

Now, couldn't someone cast a brightly colored plastic worm in resin or something?

Dale in Parker

If you decide to make a pen from an actual lure, you've already received warnings to watch out for the treble hooks; but you'll be wise, prior to chucking up in you lathe, to first remove the fish from the lure! DAMHIKT

My wife bought me a fishing lure pen a few years back. It is made from a long jerk-bait body. A hole is drilled in the tail and a cheap refill is inserted. The cap is clear plastic that is shaped like the tail fins. I like it!

I'll snap a pic and post it when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
Fishing Lure Pen

I make these for bass fishermen one at a time on commission only. The lures come in several colors. Some like the looks and some don't....But they do make quite a conversation piece. They are tough to get right and sometimes I blow one up in the drilling process.

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 145

JohnU

That is really cool. I like that a lot. My coworker had a non-fly type lure in mind I think. Her husband is into bass fishing and think she was looking for some kind of crank bait or plug type lure.

Here's a time to lead the pack! You should give it a try and let us know what happens. Ive always wanted to try casting small Mr. Twister boddies around a painted tube but never got that far. they would probably melt in the pr. Another thought would be to make a tube look like a spinner bait body and then make a clip that looks like the spoon spinner. Just a thougth...

Last edited:
Top Bottom