Has any one had this happen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oxx44

I was disassembling 2 streamline kits from my first turns to re do them now that I know what im doing (some what).
I got it all apart with my disassemble set except for the transmissions on both. They were so tight I knocked the tube out as well. Now I ruined both trying to get them out the tubes. I do remember they were an extremely tight fit going in. Is there a technique people use to do this? I dont think it is lack of glue cause the tubes were pretty rough all around the tube where the dried glue is.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

It could be just the opposite! Too much glue residue left in the tube.

Also, with slimlines, sometimes the transmissions are not all that well fitted from the beginning. Some pen makers chamfer the ends of the tubes with a reloading tool. I do this sometimes, but a dry fit of parts BEFORE glue up will usually tell me if I am going to have fit problems.

There are several vendors here who sell the Schmidt transmissions and other high quality transmissions as stand alone products. It might be a good idea to buy a few of these trannies!

Additionally, I keep a supply of 10 inch tubes (all sizes that I can get) on hand. If the blank is still usable, you can glue in a 10 inch tube and cut off the excess with a bandsaw.

Good luck.

monophoto

There is an alternate approach to removing the transmission from slims that sometimes works better than knocking them out.

Drill a 1/4" hole all the way through a scrap of hardwood. Then, make a cut longitudinally about halfway through the length of the hole. Get a couple of 1/4" washers.

Now, loosely clamp the wood in a bench vise such that further tightening the vise squeezes the saw kerf and reduces the diameter of the hole. Place both washers on the transmission, and then insert it into the hole. Position the pen so that there is about 1/8" between the top of the two washers and the bottom of the wood surrounding the transmission, and then tighten the vise. This will squeeze the wood and cause it to grip the transmission.

Then, insert the tips of a couple of flat-blade screwdrivers into the space between the washers, and then twist. The twisting motion will force the washers apart, and that will exert a force along the length of the transmission against the body of the pen. If the transmission is held firmly the hole in the block of wood, the body of the pen should lift off.

I've used this approach with some success. However, in the interest of fair and impartial journalism, I have to report that it also destroyed the transmission from one of the inexpensive "Funline" slim kits.

AlanZ

Where do folks prefer to get replacement transmissions (twist mechanisms), preferably high quality items?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have used many manufacturers' products in the slimline. Fit of the transmission can run from moderately loose to incredibly tight. In MY experience, the cheaper the kit, the more likely it is to be VERY tight.

Doesn't stop me from using them sometimes, but the more expensive kits do, usually, fit better.

FWIW!

sbwertz

I bought a disassembly tool that has a round steel block with a hole in it and a two rods, one thin one for knocking out the tip, and the other larger one for removing the transmission. To remove the transmission you push the part of the transmission that is sticking out into the hole in the round steel block. Then you slide the larger tube into the pen barrel from the other end and put the whole assembly in your pen press (or whatever you use for a pen press). press on the end of the rod and it pushes the transmission out of the blank and into the steel block. I doesn't damage the barrel or the transmission. (Ocassionally I have had to use the rod and a light hammer to drive the transmission back out of the block.)

You might be able to substitute a drilled piece of hardwood for the steel block and use punches for the rods.

I think Rockler, Woodccraft, PSI, and Craft Supplies all carry it.

Sharon

Sharon

Last edited:

sbwertz

I bought a package of 10 transmissions from Smitty37. But his online store seems to be down for maintenance

Top Bottom