HART pen kit attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmegow

I am confused and POed. My first ever commission and nothing went right.
I made the wooden parts for my pens. Then trying to assemble them the mechanism wouldn't pres into the brass tube. It is too small or the brass tube is too large. The second kit I tired and the mechanism slopped around both tubes?!?!?!? The first kit I removed the top and put a small amount of Cyan gel.
The mech still managed to get glued and won't turn. The second I folded small strips of Aluminium over the end and managed to wedge it in, It works great. I am afraid it will fail with use :mad:
I told my friend I will make her another, it will have to be after Christmas. I really hated to let her have it but she wanted it to give Christmas morn.
Is the kit missing something? They were WOODCRAFT kits. I like the kit size but an really frustrated. Sorry to drone on and on
Tom
Ala

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

If it is a WC kit, there should be someone there to help you understand it.
You could ask the sales person for help.......if they are local to you.

BSea

When you redo the pen, you might consider using the Neopean kit from Lau Lau woods. It's the same size (basically), and I've never had an issue using this kit. It's a few dollars more per kit, but from what you've been through, it would be a big savings.

Neopean Ballpoint Pen Kit

Dan Masshardt

When you redo the pen, you might consider using the Neopean kit from Lau Lau woods. It's the same size (basically), and I've never had an issue using this kit. It's a few dollars more per kit, but from what you've been through, it would be a big savings. Neopean Ballpoint Pen Kit

That's a good suggestion. However id say the simplicity style from lau is closer. The Neopean is a beefed up euro. I like them though and will be making more. Never done the hart.

Mr Vic

I've made a lot of the Hart pens and never had an issue. Before gluing up blanks for the next one Do a test fitting. Screw the transmission onto the center band and test the fit into the shorter tube. Mark th inside of the tube end it fits with a sharpie to maintain orientation for assembly.
After turning if it wont fit try chamfering the tube with a reamer. Also check for glue residue in the tube..

BSea

That's a good suggestion. However id say the simplicity style from lau is closer. The Neopean is a beefed up euro. I like them though and will be making more. Never done the hart.
Even better suggestion. I've never seen that kit before, and it is a closer match. And you're right, the Neopean is a beefed up Euro. And it looks like both the Hart & Simplicity are beefed up slimlines. If the Simplicity is from the same manufacturer as the Neopean, then I think it has a nice niche market. I'll probably order some the next time I get something from Lau Lau.

tmegow

The second kit I tried the transmission/mechanism in both Brass tubes provided.
It fell through both freely. That makes me think the short tube is over-sized or the mech is too small.
I did study the instructions carefully and had a printed copy with me in the shop as this was my first ballpoint pen kit.
(I made a fountain pen for my wife months ago without any issues.)
I bought two kits just in case i had trouble.
I'll have to get proficient with several kits before I take any more commissions
Thanks for the comments

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Make several styles of pen, or dozens (at a minimum, hundreds are better) of one style, before taking commissions! When you have faced and overcome many "kit design flaws", you are ready to make unknown kits----I would be very reluctant, even now (I've sold several thousand pens) to take a commission for a pen I've not made before, unless it was custom and I could charge appropriately for my learning curve.

FWIW,
Ed

curlyjoe

On this kit the mechanism doesnt press fit anywhere except for the on the clip bushing.
If the mechanism is tight anywhere it will not twist and bind up.
I suggest looking at the instructions again, its a simple kit to do.

Mr Vic

On this kit the mechanism doesnt press fit anywhere except for the on the clip bushing.
If the mechanism is tight anywhere it will not twist and bind up.
I suggest looking at the instructions again, its a simple kit to do.

Actually the transmission presses into the clip end by hand..Not a mechanical press fit but tight enough that the transmission will turn with the clip end to extend the point...Almost all twist pens have a hand press fit to the clip end....

Top Bottom