hardware loose in tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just finished my first pen and had a problem when assembling it: the hardware was loose in the tubes. I didn't test the fit straight out of the kit, but all the rest of my kits seem to have a nice interference fit. So I'm guessing I drilled out the tubes a little while squaring the ends with my barrel trimmer. I did notice that I had to maneuver the barrel trimmer into the tubes with some pressure and that a spiral had been cut into the tubes with the point of the barrel trimmer shaft as I pulled the hand drill out. Any suggestions for how to avoid this problem of loose fits in the future? Would it be better to drill them on the drill press?

I just glued the tubes for the next round so hope I can avoid this error this time.

Many thanks for any suggestions!
Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Sounds like you either had glue in the tubes you were trying to clean out or your barrel trimmer was not in line with the tube.

Plugging the ends of the tube before glueing helps with that. Then the barrel trimmer should slide in easily.

Occasionally, some pen kits just plain fit loose. You can push them together by hand...in this case, a teeny dot of epoxy or Locktight will hold parts in place.

Likewise, some parts are too tight and when pressing in, will,swell the tube and crack your pen blank material. I file and sand the inside of the tube slightly to ease the fit.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
As Charlie noted, sometimes kit parts fit loosely, even if you didn't do anything wrong. Regardless of the reason, if I have a loose fit, I simply wipe a light coat of CA on the inside of the tube with a q-tip to improve the fit. Be sure to let it cure completely (at least 24 hrs) before assembly. Sometimes a second coat is needed, but usually one is enough.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One caveat, Ed.
CA can create a white "powdery" look to your plated fittings. Even several days later, it can develop, if the pen was capped before everything completely cured.

Usually, it can be wiped off, so no real long-term problem, unless you are trying to sell the pen--it looks bad to open the pen and have to clean the plated areas.

FWIW,
Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Good to know - thanks.
I haven't seen that yet, but I usually let the glue cure for 1-3 days & mostly make ballpoints.

randyrls

Occasionally, some pen kits just plain fit loose. You can push them together by hand...in this case, a teeny dot of epoxy or Locktight will hold parts in place.

To the Original Poster; I will add to what Charlie said. Put the epoxy or Locktite on the inside of the tube, and give the fitting a twist as you insert it. If you put the glue on the fitting, it will squeeze out onto the pen surface and make a mess. DAMHIKT!

Dave Turner

I routinely use a small drop of blue loctite on every joint I put together. I've never had a failure and I can still take the joint apart (in those rare cases something needs fixing) by heating it with a blow dryer before extraction. Of course if the joint was blatantly loose, I'd use an adhesive or try the CA coating trick to build up wall thickness (thanks for that idea!).

Thanks for all of the helpful ideas (and DAMHIK experiences!). I can see already that this first pen will become mine and my wife will hold out for one that has more of your wisdom incorporated into it!

One question: Do you ever use locktite or epoxy when inserting the twist mechanism? I used epoxy on this one and it worked fine but I was really worried about gluing the mechanism together. I put the epoxy in the tube a little below the edge to try to avoid getting it in the wrong places but it did move in and out a little as I was adjusting things so I was worried the glue would work itself up.

--Rob

Top Bottom