Hardware change on a Euro.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Here is a question.. I made the poor choice of using a copper kit on a Euro pen I made for myself. The problem is now after just a few weeks the clear is chipping and it looks bad. I want to change it to a rhodium kit. The nib should not be too bad, and the clip is easy, but has anyone removed a band without killing the cap? I can "clean it up" a bit if I nick the edge of the tennon and shorten the cap a hair, but the ring is CA attached.I am thinking about a Dremel tool to cut the band in half right now. I love the pen, it's a Snakewood Euro, but am just not happy with that copper kit. I don't mind having to refinish the tubes either, it's lacuqer so I can use acetone to strip it down easy enough.

Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

I have removed the center band by placing a few drops of solvent (you could use acetone) on the end of the upper half inside the CB ring and let it soak into the CA for a few minutes and that softened the CA enough to pul it off with a little twisting and pulling. I didn't mess up the barrel or the finish, though i was removing it to refinish the barrel.

Jason

Firefyter-emt

Just to update, what I did was to use my metal lathe. I held the mandral in a drill chuck and sarted to turn the band off, it got about 1/4 of the way thru when the CA popped free and the band stopped. I then slid it off by running the carriage away from the blank. [:D]

814061.jpg

bjackman

I'd like to hear more details about the plating/clearcoat failure. I have not tried any copper kits yet, still a little leary of them. Comments like yours and others have kept me still sitting on the fence.

Firefyter-emt

No fix yet, I did nick it taking the nib off when it slipped out of my hand. I have to pick up some more acetone to strip the finish and might just do a CA finish on this one. I have also yet to order the new kit yet, but I am "testing" a Fountan pen right now to see how the Classic Elite kits hold up so I figured it would be a good time to try it.

The copper was a PSI kit and within 2 weeks I had many small nicks in the nib and clip cap. Now I do use it a lot, I am an Insurance Appraiser in the field and it get's a good test. However, I do not abuse it or drop it and it stays in my pocket. The problem with the nicks is that the copper turns dark and really stands out when the clear is chipped. I am not out to bash any company, but I will not buy another copper kit. It's a shame really because the copper was stunning against the snakewood.

bjackman

Lee,
I appreciate the straight up review of the copper kit. Not bashing either, I just know a lot of you out there have bought, completed & sold copper kits and usually customers can be the best and truest test.
I think I have heard the best feedback on BB/AS's & Earnie's copper plating. Both being Berea resellers, maybe they're getting similar plating "product"
Thanks again for your insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom