Hard Rubber?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonJester

I have a few bars of very old mottled hard rubber. This is the same material that was used to make Waterman pens in the 1920s. I'm dying to work with this stuff, but I don't want to make a mess of it.

Has anyone ever turned hard rubber? I assume I'll have to work it very slow while drilling and turning to keep it from melting. I may need to keep it wet while it's being worked, too. Since it's rubber it may also expand or contract with heat from the tools.

I also have quite a bit of black hard rubber from the same era. If I can successfully work this stuff I might use some of the black for rings, sections, and other pen parts.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience with this, or am I going to be a guinea pig?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It's <b>ebonite</b>. It's still around. A bunch of folks have made pens from it. Seach the current as well as the archived posts and you will find loads of info.

20071026232417_BlueEbonitePa.jpg
<br />

20071026232452_CumberlandPlatinumBar2.jpg
<br />

rhahnfl

As I was coached by Ed4copies earlier on... after I asked a similar question...crank up the speed. Sharp tools and a light touch. Haven't had a problem with anything since. I've done some water main and didn't have a problem at all. As for drilling, pretty much the same. Clear it often and use a sharp bit with easy pressure. Some put cool water in the hole but I have never had to. Post some pics when you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom