Harbor Freight Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike5753

I am still looking at lathes Harbor Freight has their model on sale for $249 minus a 20% discount bring my cost to about $200. I have heard a lot of negatives about HF but this lathe had good reviews on many sites. Any thoughts on this lathe for a newbie. I will say less than impressed by phone conversation with customer service. HF has a store about three miles from my house.

If not this one have some other possible used lathes on Craigs list.

Again any and all input welcomed.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I went that route too, and I like my lathe, dont get me wrong, but if you're gonna pay that much, you might as well save just a little bit more and get a Jet or delta. You will be glad you did later, promise!

bitshird

If it's the 12x33-1/2 then yes it is a good deal, I have one, the only complaint I have is I would like to have a bigger motor, the 3/4 HP isn't quite big enough to turn large bowls with, but I turn 17 inch handles all day long wit it ---Seriously I do, other than that it is a great value for the money, they have one with a stamped sheetmetal bed, that is junk, but the cast iropn bed is strong well made, but do you self a favor and loose the live center that comes with it it's kind of crappy, you need a 60 degree live center any way.

ldb2000

A friend has that lathe and says it's a nice lathe but has a few draw backs . First it's a little light for turning larger bowls (he's a bowl turner . he laughs at me for only making pens) so he added a sand box to the base which he says helps . the biggest problem for him is the slowest speed is only 600 rpm . Overall it is a capable lathe for lighter work .

Edit:
He also had an alignment problem with it but he finally got it straightened out ,
I think he got the store to replace the tailstock .

Last edited:

PaulDoug

I had one that I used for about three years and than sold it for $20 less than I paid for it. I had no problems with it at all. You will want a better lathe some day, especially if you get into turning bigger stuff but, it is a good starter lathe. Sometimes they are on sale for around $179. That is what I paid.

bitshird

The model was the 34706.

That was my second lathe, and the 600 rpm is a bit scary with an out of balance bowl or platter blank, Alignment problems are a given with any lathe that has an articulated headstock, it takes a bit of patience, and like butch said they are a little light , a sand box or a box filled with redymix concrete would be a good idea IF the legs were stronger, I've turned 6 and 10 inch bowls with it, but I sawed the stock round first, even then it was a little unnerving until I got it turned round and in balance, BUT for pens and spindle work I still maintain it's a nice lathe, I just bought a 16x42 that is a killer, all the difference in the world Cast Iron Legs and a lot heavier, it still has the 600 rpm threshold with a 35 pound chunk of wood and 4 bags of sand in a weight box it still tried to dance a jig.
I've worked on the new 46-xxx Delta 12-1/2 x 21 and it is a nice lathe, Short, but an absolute wonderful piece of equipment, The 1014vs Jet is the pen lathe to judge all others by, FOR PENS and small bowls up to 8 or so inches, but with a chuck you only have about 11 inches of bed left unless you get a bed extension, and it's still only a 1/2 hp motor. My new 16x42 in Shop Fox has a 2 HP motor, swivel and or sliding headstock but it has a reeves drive like the HF 34706, unfortunately a lathe of any size with EVS is going to get real expensive, 1500 or so used. if you are just going to do Pens, (that's what I said) check out Steel City, nearly an exact match up for Jet, except the new ones have a Granite bed, and are a super well made machine.
I have an older one and love it to death, good variable speed, only two pulley positions easy to change and generally a well made machine with a factory 5 year warranty, same with my shop Fox, sadly their small10x14 lathe is way under powered.

Last edited:

Mark

I have one of the HF lathes (#34706) and use it all the time. I love it. I've never had another to compare it too until recently. Still I use it most often and with the rotating head, it will likely keep me happy for some time yet.

I'm only turning pens, pencils, letter openers, bottle stoppers, fan pulls and key chains. Nothing larger at this point.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

randbcrafts

Hi Mike, I have been using this lathe for over 5 years now. I also got it on sale for about $200. It's still going strong and the only thing I have ever had to fix on it was the belt which was pretty cheap and easy. I mostly turn pens, and an occasional small bowl. In my opinion, it's a great deal.

capcrnch

I have one and it's been great.
I had to anchor the legs to get rid of movement and increase stability a bit..
Center is a little off, so I constantly have to check and adjust it, but it's not bad.
The only real complaint I have is the tool rest system. It's the most awkward thing i've ever worked with. It can be very frustrating trying to find its sweet spot.

Jon-wx5nco

I have one of the 65345's and for a starter lathe it can't be beat. Once I get a full sized lathe, I will keep this one for a buffing system.

gwisher

I have this same lathe, I bought it on sale with a 25% off coupon and it came to around $149. Out of all the tools I have bought from HF this is my favorite. I also bought my chisles there and that was a big mistake. I also bought the extended warranty so if ANYTHING goes wrong with it I get it replaced. I wore out the live center and see a replacement for about $15. I have only turned pens with it but hope to get into small bowls.

I got hooked on penturning at the woodworking show and went out the next day and bought this lathe. As the only lathe I have owned I think it works just fine for me.

sbwertz

I also have the 65345 with the bed extension. It has given me no problems, and I had no difficulty turning two canes on it with the extension, even though it is a "mini" lathe. It is limited to 9" or so in bowl turning, though

Sharon

moke

I was at HF yesterday and the little Metal Lathe was now 599.00....is that just the normal price, without any sales, or has it gone up? Anyone know?
Mike

DurocShark

That wood lathe is an awful lot like my new (to me ) Delta 46-700. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same lathe.

I like the lathe... BUT:

Reeves drive is noisy.
3/4hp is great for spindles, but a bit weak for bowls.
No matter how tight I crank down the headstock, it still shifts at the worst times.

I like the lathe, but it's got it's quirks.

Mike5753

Thanks for all the advice. The local Rockler dealer had 3 JL 10141 on sale 1 new for $250 2 used for $245. Thought I would splurge and get the new one for $5 mor.

Top Bottom