Harbor Freight lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdunn12

My neighbor recently got one of the 14X40 Central Machinery lathes.I know this isnt the greatest lathe in the world but it is a start for him as he couldnt afford anything better.It appears the center of the shaft coming out of the headstock doesnt come out so you can put a pen mandrel in it.Anyone have any experience with this lathe.It is the one with the sander on the back of the headstock.Dont want to have to put a chuck on it and put the mandrel in the chuck.A chuck would be worth more than two of the lathes.I dont want to hit on anything on this lathe as it seems to be very cheaply made.Any help would be appreciated.Ronald.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

You said, in part, "the center of the shaft coming out of the headstock doesnt come out so you can put a pen mandrel in it."

What do you mean? Do you mean to say that there is not a hole in the spindle that will accept Morse taper accessories?
If that is the case, adapters and various other chucks and things are available to make the lathe do what your friend might want.
Sadly, that defeats the advantage of buying cheap. What he will have to invest will probably get fairly expensive and he still won't have as versatile a lathe as if he had gone just a little bit higher in quality and/or did his homework first.

Daniel

P.S.I. has three adaptors for lathes without morse tapers.
two that fit the threaded part of the shaft. and one that is slip on for unthreaded shafts.
these are item numbers PKM-AL (3/4 x 16tpi) PKM-BL (1"x8tpi)
or PKM-CL (made for the shopsmith)
each of the above are priced at $17.95
the next best idea I have is the axmenster jr collet chuck from CSUSA. Chuck and 1/4 inch collet would run about $105.00

rdunn12

Yes that is what I was trying to say is it doesnt appear to come out so that morse taper accessories can be inserted.Sorry didnt fully explain what I meant.Looks like there is a hole there just no way to knock it out.

Brewmeister35

That's correct Ron, it won't take morse taper accessories. Screw on type is all he can use with that lathe. The mandrels that Daniel listed the part numbers for are the one's he'll need. I don't know the thread size of that lathe though.

loglugger

Check with Penn State 3/4' x 10 psi to 1" x 8psi #LBU-Y $12.95 Headstock spindel converter then you can get mandrel #PKM-BL 1" x 8psi $26.20 Check and make sure the thread on your lath is 3/4"x10psi. You will more than likly need a 60° live tailstock center for MT2 #LCENTLT2 $19.95 Good luck. I don't find a date on my book so the prices might be wrong.

They have changed the spindel converter to LA 341018 3/4x10 to 1x8 $12.20
Bob

Randy_

Originally posted by Brewmeister35

You can get a screw on mandrel from pennstate. I'm sure others make them as well.

To the best of my knowledge, PSI is, in fact, the "ONLY" company that makes the screw-on mandrels. They are probably available from other PSI resellers; but PSI is the sole manufacturer.

Randy_

Originally posted by Daniel

P.S.I. has three adaptors for lathes without morse tapers.
two that fit the threaded part of the shaft. and one that is slip on for unthreaded shafts. these are item numbers PKM-AL (3/4 x 16tpi) PKM-BL (1"x8tpi) or PKM-CL (made for the shopsmith) each of the above are priced at $17.95.....

That particular HF lathe has a 3/4" x 10 tpi spindle thread, if I am not mistaken so none of those mandrels will fit without an adapter.

Randy_

Originally posted by loglugger

.....They have changed the spindel converter to LA 341018 3/4x10 to 1x8 $12.20

According to the PSI web site, the headstock spindle adapter is priced at $16.95. It may be available for less from one of the PSI resellers.

Randy_

.....you can get mandrel #PKM-BL 1" x 8psi $26.20.....

Actually, the item mentioned above is a set and consists of several items. It would be a pretty good deal at the quoted price; but according to the web site, the price is only $17.95.

Here is a description of what is included in the set:

Turn a precision writing instrument using a precision PSI mandrel! Sets include lathe accessories necessary for making Slimline Pen and Pencil sets. Includes: Long mandrel ¥ Knurled nut ¥ Seven 7mm bushings ¥ 7mm bit. These mandrels are compatible with all PSI bushings and kits. Mandrel O.D. = 0.243"

gothycdesigns

Oh yes I do know what he is going thru. I too have that same model for about 2 yrs. now. and until recently I've had to make my on adapters to use it. Well, in my case I really wnated to turn and didn't see me having $1,000 or less to spend on anything decent. I saw the add in a harbor freight flyer and went for it. $84.95, I thought why not. Now of recently PSI has come up with adapters to use because they knew people were going to buy these and would need adapters to run them. Since then I have gotten the spindle adapter, and pen mandrel adapter, and a PSI utility chuck all for a 1"x8TPI since this seems to be the common size. since I have gotten these adapters, I have been enjoying the lathe more and have turned very nice things with it. But when I do get the chance, I'll be upgrading to the Nova 1624-44. and the HF lathe will become a buffing wheel. Hope he can deal with it for a little longer til he too can upgrade. I would suggest making a stand and or put on a heavy bench. The lathe itself is fairly light and needs to be weighted to keep from wobbling with larger turnings. but for small projects like pens, ornamnets, bottle stoppers, for me has done nicely. My only regret was not knowing its problems, but have adapted to work with it instead of getting made. I know its a cheap lathe, but for some its what can be obtained onlimited $$.

Hope all goes well. PSI has all the adapters he'll need to make it a go.

Later,
Gothyc Designs

loglugger

Randy, if you will read what I wrote it is stated that I couldn't find the date on the catalog that I got the prices out of. Later while on Amazon I found a different adapter that should be better than the bushing type and the price was $12.20 it is also from PSI. Also while on Amazon I found a PSI adapter for the Grizzly with 1x12 to 1x8 thread that some one was looking for not to long ago.I thought that if you went to buy them you would find out the price before you wrote the check.
Bob

Randy_

.....Also while on Amazon I found a PSI adapter for the Grizzly with 3/4 12 thread that some one was looking for not to long ago.....

Bob: Did you mean to say 1" x 12 tpi? I don't think Grizzly (or anybody else for that matter) makes a lathe with a spindle thread of 3/4" x 12 and I don't see an adapter on the PSI web site in that threading.

loglugger

Randy, you are right 1x12. I think I also said it is a PSI on Amazon but by now I don't know and more than likly don't== I only type with one finger and it is getting to tired to raze.
Bob

Top Bottom